Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
WOOO! Okay, so what it took besides following the walkthrough that reed posted exactly was this: I had to disable user account control completely on the wireless ad hoc network ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

WOOO! Okay, so what it took besides following the walkthrough that reed posted exactly was this:
    I had to disable user account control completely on the wireless ad hoc network I was connecting to, then rebooted the phone. It is an android my touch 3g rooted with wireless tether app in case anyone has this combination of circumstance again. Thanks reed, I would have been completely lost if you hadn't helped. I'm going to go read up on Arch Linux and hopefully annihilate my windows partition with a fresh install of Arch.

only in linux could something as typically simple as connecting to wifi take me three hours and make me jump for joy when I succeed.

Glad you got it working. I have no experience with connecting via cell phones, so I hadn't a clue.

Just FYI, your wireless card will not work out of the box in Arch, either, but it's a little simpler to get going since the driver is available through the Arch User Repository.

Just Joined!
    I think I can officially mark this one as solved. Thanks again reed9. Arch is going to be my project for next weekend, this weekend Im going to finally delete my vista partition and upgrade to slack 13.

p.s. ive been idling in arch irc and reading about it, it looks like my kind of distro. you'll probably see me in the arch forums soon enough when Im hung on something new.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    I too am glad to hear that you got it working!

I wanted to point out something. The wl driver that you installed is a kernel module. It was built for your currently running kernel. If you upgrade the kernel in any way, you will need to re-install the wl driver for the new kernel.

Have fun!
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2