Find the answer to your Linux question:
Need to get Nvidia-Linux-x86-185.18.36-pkg1.run onto a slackware12.2 box that has no gui access. wget failed... and my lack of basic application skills is has been a week long horror. Because ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

[SOLVED] Getting Nvidia Geforce 6600 on the right computer

Need to get Nvidia-Linux-x86-185.18.36-pkg1.run onto a slackware12.2 box that has no gui access.
    wget failed... and my lack of basic application skills is has been a week long horror. Because i have another Slackware 12.1 box I download the Nvidia driver to xfce desktop... well I don't know how to get that driver onto cd rw disc and i don't know how to open a cd using CLI to get that driver where i need it.

Then I started to install a slack build of Xfburn to slackware12.1 and got stuck after untar libburn-0.6.2-i486-1_rlw.tgz
    -> wound up with install folder and usr folder and don't know where the src file gets put into... so i can begin that library's install... I posted asking for an answer to this ques w/o any response.

Finally i went to another slackware12.2 box with KDE and downloaded the Nvidia driver to desktop popped in a cdrw disc and clicked on burn. Oh yes, u guessed it but I don't know how to open that cd access its directory. Where did the gd old days of downloading directly to a floppy go? I have wasted a week googling and disphering other slackware users' tech notes - what is a file root? I have found some info just not instructional enough for my skill level and time restraints. and i don't have a printer to print instructions and then do it so i switch between have working slack boxes. Please help. Thank you

To mount a CD from the command line
    Code:
    su -
    mkdir /mnt/cdrom/
    mount -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom
    The first creates a mount point, the second mounts.

Then you can change to the directory and access the cd
    Code:
    cd /mnt/cdrom
    How to use slackbuild scripts.
    SlackBuilds.org

I have found some info just not instructional enough for my skill level and time restraints.
    Slackware is not a pickup and start using distro. It sounds like you might be better served with an easier distro to begin with.

Wait I'm confused, why do you need to install a graphics driver on a headless machine?

Just Joined!
    It worked!!! reed Thank you so much for showing me how to get this video driver. Do I have to unmount?

Its not a headless machine... i have a 4 port kvm, The box i am trying to install a video driver bc this box will be my slackware kde and xfce desktop machine for 2 users. For the Nvidia video driver to install clean I shld not activate temp video settings. This is what i have learned from previous slackware 12.2 installs. The ATI cards work right out of the box w/ slackware12.x

The slackbuild issue is that i have succeeded with other builds, its pretty easy. But the XFburn pkg requires 2 libraries and when i untar the first part of libburn it produced 2 folders Install and User. Normally i wld just put the source pkg in the same dir with slackbuild scripts but I am confused about the two folders. I will figure it out. I create a howto then

Yes, you should unmount removable media when you're done with them.

Code:
    su -
    umount /media/cdrom
    The slackbuild issue is that i have succeeded with other builds, its pretty easy. But the XFburn pkg requires 2 libraries and when i untar the first part of libburn it produced 2 folders Install and User. Normally i wld just put the source pkg in the same dir with slackbuild scripts but I am confused about the two folders. I will figure it out. I create a howto then
    I don't understand this. Why are you extracting the libburn source? Don't you just put the source tar ball in the slackbuild directory and run the build script?