Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi guys, I have question, Is it possible to install Linux on an External Hard which is connected to laptop by USB? & If it is avaible how can I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Linux on External Hard

hi guys,
    I have question,
    Is it possible to install Linux on an External Hard which is connected to laptop by USB?
    & If it is avaible how can I partition my External hard to dedicate one drive to my linux stuff?
    cheers

Welcome to the forums Mega2010

You should be able to install to an external hard drive connected by USB to a laptop. There are no right answers as far as partitioning is concerned, personally I try to keep things fairly simple ... root, home, swap, and a partition for user data.

You need to check if the laptop is capable of booting from USB, if it is then you should be able to install and run most distros that way.

Be careful during the install process that you don't install the bootloader to the internal hard drive or you will need to have the external drive connected to get your system to boot.

Just Joined!
    hi mate,
    thanks for you comprehensive response,
    I try it to see wht gonna happen,
    one more thing,do you it's better i install linux Live or general linux? could you tell me whats the difference?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by Mega2010 View Post
    hi mate,
    thanks for you comprehensive response,
    I try it to see wht gonna happen,
    one more thing,do you it's better i install linux Live or general linux? could you tell me whats the difference?
    I'm not quite sure what you mean ... I don't use Slackware but I'm guessing you are talking about a live CD/USB version. I did not see anything about live or general here ...
    are you asking about this ? If you want to run a live CD/USB version then Slax is probably a good option for you.

Just Joined!
    yep,i meant a live CD/USB version.it's roughly 4GB,i downloaded.just want to be sure is it flexible and what are the differences with the normal slackware?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mega2010 View Post
    yep,i meant a live CD/USB version.it's roughly 4GB,i downloaded.just want to be sure is it flexible and what are the differences with the normal slackware?
    Running from Live CD/DVD/USB will be slower but you don't have to install it on your harddisk.