Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
after i logged in as root i typed "startx" and it says "command not found" im stuck what now? tried doing "telinit 4" but it says "Hey, you dont have ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

how to start x in slackware 13 after fresh install

after i logged in as root i typed "startx" and it says "command not found" im stuck what now?

tried doing "telinit 4" but it says "Hey, you dont have KDM, GDM. or XDM. Cant use runlevel 4 without one of those installed.

Did you do a full install?
    Can't tell an OS by it's GUI

Linux Newbie
    yes i did full install the recommended installed which is about 4.8 GB i belive.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    Configuring the X Server

Configuring X can be a complex task. The reason for this is the vast numbers of video cards available for the PC architecture, most of which use different programming interfaces. Luckily, most cards today support basic video standards known as VESA, and if your card is among them you'll be able to start X using the "startx" command right out of the box.

If this doesn't work with your card, or if you'd like to take advantage of the high-performance features of your video card such as hardware acceleration or 3-D hardware rendering, then you'll need to reconfigure X.

To configure X, you'll need to make an /etc/X11/xorg.conf file. This file contains lots of details about your video hardware, mouse, and monitor. It's a very complex configuration file, but fortunately there are several programs to help create one for you. We'll mention a few of them here.

i think this is the problem that my intel video card wont work out of the box with the Vesa standard driver now do you guys know how to create an xorg.conf file? and how to configure it?

If you're going to use Slackware, be prepared to do a lot of reading.

The Slackware Linux Project: Configuration Help

oz
    forum.guy
    The Slackware Essentials book usually proves helpful to new Slackware users, too:

Slackware Linux Essentials

Section 6 covers X configuration.
    oz

Linux Newbie
    I figured it out...
    i did something realy stupid of the slackware site i only downloaded the first cd i did not read and i tried to install it from one cd so after that i just downloaded the dvd which had all 3 of them in one and installed it and it works great now.

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by donaldfarkas View Post
    I figured it out...
    i did something realy stupid of the slackware site i only downloaded the first cd i did not read and i tried to install it from one cd so after that i just downloaded the dvd which had all 3 of them in one and installed it and it works great now.
    Believe me when I tell you that you aren't the first that's done that!
    oz

Linux Newbie
    haha silly me

oz
    forum.guy
    I've not tried Slackware 13 yet, but when the time comes to do so, I might give the DVD version a try. The only drawback to that is that it's a pretty big download.
    oz

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast