Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Originally Posted by portia @TeoEnMing Gimp is much more generic and versatile, which is generally good, however, lightzone is specifically for photographers. It's just for editing processing RAW photos. It's ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Quote Originally Posted by portia View Post
    @TeoEnMing

Gimp is much more generic and versatile, which is generally good, however, lightzone is specifically for photographers. It's just for editing processing RAW photos. It's very intuitive and has got lots of useful features.

When it comes to Slackware, the only official DEs shipping with Slackware 13 are KDE, fluxbox, XFCE, wmaker, blackbox, ratpoison, twm, fvwm2.
    no GNOME? I am basically used to gnome by now.

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by TeoEnMing View Post
    Why would you want to stay clear of multilib? All of the other distributions support running 32-bit applications in a 64-bit host.
    Fair enough, but if you do it, you might as well install 32-bit distro. What's the point of installing 64-bit distro if you are going to use 32-bit apps?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by portia View Post
    Fair enough, but if you do it, you might as well install 32-bit distro. What's the point of installing 64-bit distro if you are going to use 32-bit apps?
    I have 8 GB of ram on my home computer. If I use 32-bit distro, I can't take advantage of all of my 8 GB memory.

I am running a 64-bit distro with mostly 64-bit apps. But I need a 32-bit web browser to use flash player and Java vm.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    oz
    forum.guy
    Yup, I realize that it's possible to mix it all up, but I'm not a fan of mixing system libraries, desktop environments, and other various combinations. If I'm going to run 64-bit Linux, I want 64-bit apps as well, and want to leave all the previously used stuff behind. Otherwise, I'd rather stick to 32-bit only.

The problem with mixing everything that's available to be mixed is that it gives more opportunity for something to go wrong, and it makes things harder (at least for me) to troubleshoot.
    oz

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by ozar View Post
    Yup, I realize that it's possible to mix it all up, but I'm not a fan of mixing system libraries, desktop environments, and other various combinations. If I'm going to run 64-bit Linux, I want 64-bit apps as well, and want to leave all the previously used stuff behind. Otherwise, I'd rather stick to 32-bit only.

The problem with mixing everything that's available to be mixed is that it gives more opportunity for something to go wrong, and it makes things harder (at least for me) to troubleshoot.
    I am actually quite comfortable with mixing 32-bit and 64-bit libraries. I have /usr/lib (32-bit) and also /usr/lib64.

Check out all my Linux videos at youtube with the username enmingteo.

Just Joined!
    by the way, can anyone recommend me the fastest mirror for downloading Slackware 13.0 64-bit ISO? Preferred download speed is at least 900 kilobytes per second.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2