Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Just curious... are any of you that are currently using the 64-bit version of Slackware 13 having any problems finding 64-bit Slackware packages to use with it, or have you ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    oz
    forum.guy

[SOLVED] 64-bit Slackware 13 Users

Just curious... are any of you that are currently using the 64-bit version of Slackware 13 having any problems finding 64-bit Slackware packages to use with it, or have you found pretty much everything that you need?
    oz

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by ozar View Post
    Just curious... are any of you that are currently using the 64-bit version of Slackware 13 having any problems finding 64-bit Slackware packages to use with it, or have you found pretty much everything that you need?
    After initially running both 32 and 64 bit versions, I settled on a 32-bit version due to the problem you mentioned above. I couldn't install enigmail, lightzone and probably a few other ones. Mostly it was because of lightzone - a state-of-the-art software for photographers.

oz
    forum.guy
    Thanks for the reply, portia.

I've been interested in trying version 13, but only the 64-bit version, and didn't want to fool with it at all if the 64-bit Slack packages aren't plentiful. Based on your experience, I'm going to wait a while so that more 64-bit apps can be compiled and packaged.
    oz

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    I haven't tried it, but I've heard a lot of people install 64bit and go multilib.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by portia View Post
    After initially running both 32 and 64 bit versions, I settled on a 32-bit version due to the problem you mentioned above. I couldn't install enigmail, lightzone and probably a few other ones. Mostly it was because of lightzone - a state-of-the-art software for photographers.
    How is LightZone compared to GIMP?

oz
    forum.guy
    I haven't tried it, but I've heard a lot of people install 64bit and go multilib.
    Yeah, but I've been trying to stay clear of the multi-libs thing and would rather simply stick with 32-bit than do that.
    oz

Just Joined!
    multilib is to allow 64-bit os to run 32-bit apps.

Just Joined!
    I have tried 32-bit slackware but not 64-bit. Are there GNOME and KDE for 64-bit slackware?

Linux Newbie
    @TeoEnMing

Gimp is much more generic and versatile, which is generally good, however, lightzone is specifically for photographers. It's just for editing processing RAW photos. It's very intuitive and has got lots of useful features.

When it comes to Slackware, the only official DEs shipping with Slackware 13 are KDE, fluxbox, XFCE, wmaker, blackbox, ratpoison, twm, fvwm2.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by ozar View Post
    Yeah, but I've been trying to stay clear of the multi-libs thing and would rather simply stick with 32-bit than do that.
    Why would you want to stay clear of multilib? All of the other distributions support running 32-bit applications in a 64-bit host.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast