Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've installed everything as far I can see correctly on every DHCP tutorial, but can not load anything. I have an IP address, and can ping the server, but no ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

DHCP

I've installed everything as far I can see correctly on every DHCP tutorial, but can not load anything. I have an IP address, and can ping the server, but no websites or such.

Any help appreciated...

Linux User
    You need to give a little more info.

What distro are you running? If you say what distro you are running it's easier to have someone tell you exactly what steps to take rather than a genreal idea.

What do you mean that you can ping the server? As in what server, something from your ISP or something inside your house?

Are you connecting to a router, dsl/cable modem or something else? If you are connecting to a small router at home that then connects to the dsl/cable modem are you getting an ip address like 192.168.1.100? Does the router it's self get a good ip address from your ISP?

If you connect strait to the dsl/cable modem do you get a good routable ip address from your ISP?

If you could post the out put of the command "ifconfig" (although you might want to modify your actuall ip address, put a ? or an X for the last couple of sets of numbers, no need giving out that info).

Just Joined!
    Slackware 10.

When I run ifconfig, it shows my IP that I always gets, and the gateway IP that I get it from. I am using university access, giving me an IP on the network of 172.xxx.1.175, with my gateway being 172.xxx.0.5. I can ping this gateway, but nothing else. Entering the ifconfig, gets me these values.

I cannot paste the ifconfig result, as I have no internet access from Linux.

Just Joined!
    can you use other protocols, like ftp, telnet or ssh?
    Do you have the DNS servers configured correctly?
    Does your university network use proxy servers? Do you have your browser configured for such?

Try going to /etc/rc.d
    pico (as root)
    rc.inet1.conf

Scroll down to the part that says gateway manually enter the gateway between the quotes
    gateway "172.x.x.1" (keep the quotes)

CTRL x
    Y
    reboot

This has worked for me in the past. You don't actually need a gateway to ping the gateway (as long as you and the gateway are on the same subnet), but you will if you want to go any further. After you manually put in the gateway do a complete reboot. Should get you going.

Let us know