Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a dell inspiron with 128mb of ram with a busted harddrive. It will only boot into text mode efficiently. I am looking for a way to make Start ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

[SOLVED] Slax: boot menu, text mode, & crappy notebook

I have a dell inspiron with 128mb of ram with a busted harddrive. It will only boot into text mode efficiently. I am looking for a way to make Start slax text mode my default selection when I boot it.

also I am running slax from a flashdrive with no means of installing it to the laptop hdd

Don't know if this will help. But here is my /boot/grub/menu.lst entry for booting my AntiX 8.5 into tty3 which is a text mode screen. I can go to Desktop if I so wish from it but it starts me from a shell prompt.

title antiX-M8.5, kernel 2.6.32-1-mepis-smp (init-3)
    root (hd0,6)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32-1-mepis-smp root=UUID=84d33311-82ef-43bb-b646-b1a74ccf1153 ro 3 acpi=force
    initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.32-1-mepis-smp
    The ro 3 before acpi=force is what I think you need in the kernel line for your slax. (I think, can't swear to it though)
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Quote Originally Posted by rokytnji View Post
    Don't know if this will help. But here is my /boot/grub/menu.lst entry for booting my AntiX 8.5 into tty3 which is a text mode screen. I can go to Desktop if I so wish from it but it starts me from a shell prompt.

The ro 3 before acpi=force is what I think you need in the kernel line for your slax. (I think, can't swear to it though)
    I ended up changing my menu config file. I put the text mode at the top so it will be automagically selected after the 9 second wait.