Find the answer to your Linux question:
Not sure whether to post this here or in the laptops forum but here goes. In a few weeks time I'm going to get a shiny new laptop with a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Slack 10 on 64bit.

Not sure whether to post this here or in the laptops forum but here goes. In a few weeks time I'm going to get a shiny new laptop with a 64bit processor. It will come with Windows XP Home preloaded but I intend to change that to a dual boot of XP Pro and Slackware 10.

What I want to know is:

How well does Slack 10 performs on the 64bit architecture?

How well does it performs on laptops in general?

Not sure about the 64 bit stuff, but I have slack 10 on my Toshiba (2 years old). I will give you a brief synopsis for me. Slackware is a lot of work to put on the laptop I am still fighting minor issues. Once it is installed and everything works you will be happy. It is noticebly faster than any operating system I have run yet even XP. Weird thing is I have reinstalled 3 times so far because I was playing with things and being stupid, but all three times I have had different issues. I have learned alot, but the best part is it is so fast. Anyways I say go for it. you won't be dissappointed and everybody in the slackware forum is really nice and knowledgeable. It wont take long to get everything working, but be prepared to stay up late a couple nights that week.
    Good Luck and let us know if you need any help with it.
    Mike

Just Joined!
    I already have Slack 10 on my tower as part of a dual boot with XP Pro. I've only had to reinstall Slack once and that was because I had some monitor problems I could not fix through all the less drastic routes. As a result though I upgraded the kernel to 2.6.7 and I think I have Apache set up properly.

I got slack because I wanted something that wasn't too close to Windows. I wasn't disappointed and I also got to further explore my interests in OS development, experiencing alternate platforms and improving my programming skills. That's why I'm thinking about setting up the same type of dual boot on the laptop aswell.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close