Find the answer to your Linux question:
hey all i'm tryin to install slackware 10 over a compaq proliant 1500 server that has 5 scsi hard disks, i booted using the floppies, and after that i tried ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

COMPAQ PROLIANT 1500 installation

hey all i'm tryin to install slackware 10 over a compaq proliant 1500 server that has 5 scsi hard disks, i booted using the floppies, and after that i tried the fdisk to creat the partitions and swap, but it gave me an error
    wheneever i issue the command "fdisk /dev/hda" i get "unable to open /dev/hda"
    same thing haoppens if i use sda insted of hda

any ideas pleas
    thanks

-dewey-

Just Joined!
    I dont pretend to be an expert with either compaq 1500's or slack, however does it use a raid array rather than individual scsi drives? I know that most compaqs do.

If so it may actually be seeing the array as a raid array rather than standard sd devices.

I do not know what device slack assigns to raid arrays, however normally they are not assigned sd devices.

If no one gets back to you telling you the details, you could try using a live cd like knoppix and seeing what device id is assigned to your drives.

Linux User
    I'm not really familure with gentoo, so I can't say for sure, but I don't think that most distro's have scsi raid support complied into the kernel by default. You might want to do some searching on the gentoo web site's docs for some more info on how to set that up,

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    wow i thought i was the only one that dealt with junk at work lol....im running FEdora core2 on a proliant 1600..... when you give the hda your formating a IDE drive as far as i know try
    Code:
    fdisk /dev/sda
    i belive that stands for scsi disk array i could be wrong on that one... hehe imma take some pics of the dumpty server at wrok ..... is the 1500 the 233p2 model or 266?

Just Joined!
    well i think it's raid array i'm not sure caus i don't really know about those but a friend of mine who took a look at it told me that
    i tried fdisk /dev/sda it didn't work and i also tried fdisk /dev/hda without any success

and one other problem is that when it reboots it seems to read only from the floppy but not the cd, what i want to say is that if i put a boot cd, it won't boot from it, but it will boot from a floppy
    i will try knopix and see if it will wok

so does anyone know how to get into the bios to change the boot sequence and make it boot from the cd?????

thanks again

Just Joined!
    well i have a smart-2 p array controler installed and among the 5 scsi hard disk i have one in scsi slot 3 that is not working, would that be a problem?? should i replace it first befor beein able to install linux on it??? plus i still get the error "unable to open /dev/hda" or slash "dev/sca" when i use fdisk to creat the partitions befor installing slackware

one more question, no bootable cd is booting from the cd eventhough i configured the server to boot from the cdrom, why isn't it working?? do i need to install anything for the cd drive to work???

thanks again

-dewey-

Have you used the Compaq Array configuration stuff to configure a raid array? If so, then the array will appear under /dev/ida/ . If not, I suggest you do that (). Head over to compaq's site and look under support. They don't have an executable for Linux, so you'll need a Win box with a floppy drive to create the three boot floppies.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Just Joined!
    well i tried "fdisk /dev/ida" it told me "you will be unable to write the partition table. unable to read /dev/ida" this thing is drivin me crazy!!!

and you said somthing about creating 2 diskets. what are those diskets?? i didn't really understand

i tried lookin on compaque website for any kinde of help but i didn't finde anything helpull, i tried lookin on the net i found 2 places, i know the solutions lies there but i still didn't finde it especially that they explain how to install linux redhat 6 or 7 while i am installing slackware 10

i actually am not sure f slackware is compatibkle with this server but it should be since it's just anopthe linux distro, pleas correct me if i am wrong

thanks again

-dewey-

Quote Originally Posted by Dewey
    well i tried "fdisk /dev/ida" it told me "you will be unable to write the partition table. unable to read /dev/ida" this thing is drivin me crazy!!!

and you said somthing about creating 2 diskets. what are those diskets?? i didn't really understand
    It's under /dev/ida. Mine is /dev/ida/disc0. Just ls /dev/ida to see what's there.

As for the diskettes, I goofed. I found them somewhere not on Compaq's site. If you need them to configure your SCSI array, let me know and I'll throw them up on my site.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Linux Newbie

smart start cd

I think, if someone has not mentioned this already, you have to 1st create the array using the smart start CDs that came with the server -