Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hello, I'm completely new to Linux, my distro is Slackware 10.0, I recently installed it on a dual boot system with windows(which i hate). Anyways, at first, my ethernet card ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Couple problems....

Hello, I'm completely new to Linux, my distro is Slackware 10.0, I recently installed it on a dual boot system with windows(which i hate). Anyways, at first, my ethernet card didn't work, but somehow that magically is better...obviously lol.

My first problem is, i have no sound. And, i would go about rooting around trying to figure things out but i have no idea what I'm doin, my friend just reccomended this OS to me, after hearing my... feelings towards Windows. Only reason i am still using a dual boot system is because I'm a gamer, and i need to use windows.

Second problem is slightly smaller, my scroll wheel on my mouse doesnt work. lol.
    Oh, and if anyone knows a way i can play games on Linux that are normally only windows compatible... let me know. Here are my system specs:

Motherboard : ASUS A7V8X-X
    Processer: AMD Athlon XP 2100+
    Memory: 1024 MB Kingston PC3200
    Video Card: NVIDIA GeforceFX 5700LE
    Onboard Sound Card

One of the great things about slaceware is the speed and the freedom. Sometimes that neans there are some bumps in the road to get there, but once you get it figured out you will be happy.

You scroll doesn't work because you have add a line in your/etc/X11/xorg.conf file

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Mouse0"
    Driver "mouse"
    Option "Device" "/dev/mouse"
    Option "Protocol" "PS/2"
    Option "Emulate3Buttons" "off"
    Option "ZaxisMapping" "4 5"
    EndSection

Mine looks something like this make sure you add the Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"

(make sure there is a space between the 4 and 5.)
    That should take care of your mouse.

As far as sound there could be a couple of reasons for this not to work, but to start you need to know what sound card you have, then type lsmod and see if you see it in there. Sometimes it works but sound is not turned on. Try going to sound control (a little wrench icon on panel if using KDE) then sound and media then sound system then enable sound system. once that is done go to kmix in the multimedia tab and configure your sound.

I hope this helps.
    good luck

Mike

#bump#

Linux Engineer
    why was this thread bumped? ...oh well, i'll just add to what adrenaline already said.

make sure it's ZAxisMapping (i think caps matter) - you might want to correct that adrenaline. Option ZAxisMapping "4 5" will work if you have a 5-button mouse with scroll up and scroll down as buttons 4 and 5, so use that unless your configuration is different.

As far as sound there could be a couple of reasons for this not to work, but to start you need to know what sound card you have, then type lsmod and see if you see it in there. Sometimes it works but sound is not turned on. Try going to sound control (a little wrench icon on panel if using KDE) then sound and media then sound system then enable sound system. once that is done go to kmix in the multimedia tab and configure your sound.
    while this might work in KDE, it's not going to help if F*BillGAteS is running another GUI. try typing alsaconf as root and that should be it. if it doesn't fix it, you may want to try running alsamixer to see if all the volumes are up and unmuted. if something is muted, select it and press m to unmute.

as far as a windows emulator, wine (http://winehq.com/) is probably the best thing out there.

Sorry about the bump thing I had a connection problem at the time. I am not sure about the Cap thing myself, but the configuration is right out of my xorg.conf file and it works for me.

Mike

Just Joined!
    Haha... Yea i am really liking Slackware, I am using KDE... Gnome is too much like mac, at least ive heard i dont know exactly how to change... haha. But i love how everything can be customized to your liking... oh man. I'm about to try those solutions ill keep you guys posted. thanks.

-BlackBeard-

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by F*BillGAteS
    Haha... Yea i am really liking Slackware, I am using KDE... Gnome is too much like mac, at least ive heard i dont know exactly how to change... haha. But i love how everything can be customized to your liking... oh man. I'm about to try those solutions ill keep you guys posted. thanks.

-BlackBeard-
    xwmconfig to change the default gui. and i disagree that gnome is too much like mac, not that that would be a bad thing.... anyways, give all the guis a try, they're fun.

Just Joined!
    Alright. Sound is working... ok, you could say. i used alasmixer to turn everything as high as it would go and its still rather quiet... could it be that i have a 5.1 surround sound system? prolly shoulda mentioned that before... DUH lol. well i get sound for now, its just real quiet. haha the mouse thing i havnt tried yet....

Linux Engineer
    you ran alsaconf as root first?

Just Joined!
    yes. it said it detected my sound card and everything. then it said "adjust sounds with your favorite mixer"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast