Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8
This stuff kinda sounds dumb tho with the package management stuff it says all you need is for the stuff to be tarred and then gziped in order to use ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

weird

This stuff kinda sounds dumb tho with the package management stuff it says all you need is for the stuff to be tarred and then gziped in order to use pkgtool and stuff like that on it but. the packages we were messing with earlier were tarred and gzipped but they didnt have the tgz on them they had tar.gz kinda weird if u ask me

Just Joined!

weird

it would of been so much easier if we could of just pkgtool that stuff earlier u know it was tarred and gzipped just not a tgz

.tgz and .tar.gz are equivalent. .tgz is an abbreviation, which I believe came about because MS-DOS back in the day couldn't handle filenames with more than one period or three characters after the period.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by kcnewslackuser View Post
    it would of been so much easier if we could of just pkgtool that stuff earlier u know it was tarred and gzipped just not a tgz
    It's because of what's contained in the tar ball. The slackbuilds we used are scripts which compile the source code of a program into a usable binary package. When you use slackpkg or installpkg, you are installing binaries that have already been compiled. These are what's available in the software repositories.

Just Joined!

?

up to walking me thru 1 more install from slackbuilds im gonna try and install flashplayer

East coast of the US, it's getting late and I'm headed to sleep. Glad to help in you get stuck, but it'll be awhile before I'm on again.

The process is the same, though, so I encourage you to give it a try and post if you get stuck. If you start a new post for it, someone else will be more likely to see the post and help.

Just Joined!

yay!!!

Im so proud I got a program installed on slakbuilds by myself lol flashplayer i figured out why i didnt work earlier i was trying to chmod the directory instead of the file all day lol since they both had the same name

Hey, see you didn't need me to walk you through it!

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8