Find the answer to your Linux question:
I recently installed slackware and i really dont know much about it. Or where to get software for it can someone please tell me where I can get some .tgs ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

video

I recently installed slackware and i really dont know much about it. Or where to get software for it can someone please tell me where I can get some .tgs files for plugins for mozilla so I can watch divx avi and other video formats online in my browser please and any help with some good places for slackware software would be most appreciated

oz
    forum.guy
    The best sources that I've found to get Slackware packages are the various slackware mirrors themselves, linuxpackages.net, and slackbuilds.org.

You can google slackware packages for some other options.
    oz

Multimedia support in slackware for patent encumbered and non-free formats is a wee bit lacking.

Here is an article which lists a lot of software you can use to flesh out multimedia support.
    Human Readable - A Full-Featured Multimedia Slackware

One thing that isn't metioned there is gecko-mediaplayer, which is a web browser plugin for playing various media. I've always found it works better than the vlc or xine plugins.
    SlackBuilds.org - gecko-mediaplayer

It does require gnome-mplayer as well (an mplayer front-end). Despite the name, it doesn't actually have any gnome dependencies.
    SlackBuilds.org - gnome-mplayer

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

thank you

you sure like these forums dont you reed9 lol we keep meeting and thanks

Just Joined!
    I thought you would like to know that i was able to get 4 or 5 programs to install on slackbuilds last night before going to bed. All thanks to you now im just trying to find places to get good software for the new os besides slackbuilds.

Quote Originally Posted by kcnewslackuser View Post
    you sure like these forums dont you reed9 lol we keep meeting and thanks
    I'm not a programmer and I don't have much money to contribute to projects, so helping people out is a small way I can contribute back to the community.

You can find more slackbuilds and binary packages at these two sites:
    Index of /slackware-13.0
    Alien - Alien's Wiki

Just Joined!

thanks reed9

well your doing a very good job i learned to use slackbuilds and .tgz files from you now if only i knew the other ways to install software like from source code and such

oz
    forum.guy
    We have a nice HowTo here that explains how to install software from source and a few other ways, depending on the distribution:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/lin...are-linux.html
    oz

Just Joined!

thanks

Thank you ozar much appreciated

oz
    forum.guy
    One thing to keep in mind when installing from source is to always check for any readme files that might be found in the folder of the extracted file because they will often have specific instructions for installation and sometimes removal of the package.
    oz