Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've installed slax6 onto an ext3 partition and setup a users account, i've also just managed to mount some virtualbox shared folders which are working and i can access them ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

File Permissions Slax6

I've installed slax6 onto an ext3 partition and setup a users account, i've also just managed to mount some virtualbox shared folders which are working and i can access them fine. The problem is I cannot seem to give limited user accounts access to them. root can access them no problem! but right clicking and changing the permissions do nothing, because once I click apply, reopen the menu, the changes have reverted.

I've tried chmod'ing them.. chmod o=rwx /mnt/folder I used 'o' because I can't seem to change the group permission for the folder.

The shared folder I am mounting is formatted in NTFS and the other in ext3, I can't change the permissions of either.

Can someone shed some light on this please?

Thanks!

Just Joined!
    bump please.

You have to give ownership of ext3 mount point to Regular User.
    Code:
    chown -R user_id:group_id mount_point
    For NTFS partition, set umask=0 in mount command or /etc/fstab file.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Thanks!

I tried remounting the ntfs share with the option you suggested but still the same issue.

when they are not mounted; i can take ownership of the mount points, but as soon as i remount, they default back to owner:root group:root; and that includes the ext3 share mount point.

these are the lines in my fstab

Refills_Shared /mnt/Refills vboxsf rw umask=0 0 0
    Personal_Share /mnt/My_Share vboxsf rw 0 0

Thank you.

Just Joined!
    bump

Just Joined!
    well as you guys can probably tell im a bit of a noob atm, so i did a bit of reading on mounting here .. tuxfiles[dot]org/linuxhelp/fstab.html

turns out i need to mount the volume as a user as it defaults to root, to do that i needed to specify the owner uid and gid.

the above lines should look like so..

Code:
    Refills_Shared /mnt/Refills vboxsf rw,uid=1000,gid=100 0 0
    Personal_Share /mnt/My_Share vboxsf rw,uid=1000,gid=100 0 0

if you are googling and come across this thread (like i was doing franticly) then you are probably a noob like me.

open a shell and to find your group id and user id of the current shell session do..

Code:
    id -g
    id -u
    Thanks!