Find the answer to your Linux question:
And ever since ive owned it , It has been a very reliable machine. But compared to mac & windows i found it to be very limited. To run certain ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question I have a Everex G-book and had it for 2 years.

And ever since ive owned it , It has been a very reliable machine. But compared to mac & windows i found it to be very limited.
    To run certain programs, and devices such has my digital camera or scanner's or even my wireless router. and now i just bought a new HP- D1600 ink jet printer.
    The software that came with my new hardware is completely useless. to my computer.
    CAN ANY ONE SHED SOME LIGHT ON THIS FOR ME BEFORE I DONATE . Other wise very reliable laptop to my local elementary school. ?

Please help this TECH ignorant STOOGE !
    Bjorne

probably the software that came with the printer was for mac or windows, so yes it is useless

linux can do everything you need, i'm guessing you have some not great distro installed, which would be helpful to say what you do have installed

linux actually supports more devices than any other OS

It would be helpful if you created posts that detailed your problems, and then we can try to solve them

The Everex gBook comes with the Ubuntu based gOS installed. It's getting pretty long in the tooth by now, but otherwise should be fairly competent, at least compared to the likes of Xandros or Linpus Linux Light.

Depending on which version of gOS was installed, at best you're running a 2.6.24 kernel. Hardware support is tied to the kernel, and new releases are constantly adding drivers for hardware. Upgrading your machine to the latest Ubuntu might help with some hardware support.

Unfortunately, many vendors still choose not to support linux, or give it mediocre support at best. Printers are one area where you still have to be careful in your purchases to make sure you get something compatible.

That said, your printer should at least have basic functionality. Or can get it.
    HP Linux Imaging and Printing

Welcome to the forums!

I've had good experience with HP printers on Linux. Have you tried to install it through CUPS yet?

It's true that the driver CD-ROM provided with your printer wont work. In Linux we do things differently. You just point your browser to:
    Open Source and Linux Forums

Click [add printer] and follow directions. Chances are, it's already recognized.
    Can't tell an OS by it's GUI