Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey, I am having problems initializing KDE when I boot with hotplug enabled. When I boot with the command prompt "linux nohotplug" the system initializes fine, however without this after ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Engineer

Need help with hotplug support in Slack

Hey, I am having problems initializing KDE when I boot with hotplug enabled. When I boot with the command prompt "linux nohotplug" the system initializes fine, however without this after I startx during the kde intialization screen at the initializing peripheral step the comp locks up and I have to manually restart. This causes me great problems because I really need hotplugging for my ethernet card to work.

It works perfectly with live cds, dsl and slax,

Can someone please give me an idea of how to fix this problem,

Thank you so much for your time

Linux Engineer
    Also, for testing purposes, does anyone know how to start hotplugging support once in kde?

I wish I could be more help, but I have the exact same problem as you. Heres what I do. I just disable hotplug and manually add my eth card when booting. this is a pain for me too because it is a laptop. I actually have some scripts that I wrote to do this for me though. I have scripst like ./home.
    Essentially this runs ifconfig eth0 up | cd /etc/rc.d | cp rc.inet1.conf. home rc.inet1.conf | ./rc.inet1

this will pop my network up for my home network. I know it is not the right way of doing this but it works. I am interested too to see if someone can answer your question.

Mike

Linux Engineer
    I just got help on this problem in another forum...basically the answer was to manually start hotplugging once you startx...not that much of a pain and it worked wonderfully

So what your saying is turn off hotplug and manually turn it on after boot up then turn it off when going down?
    If this is true and you turn hotplug on, it then finds your eth card and works automatically?

Linux Engineer
    Yeah, at the boot prompt, I just "linux nohotplug", then when I log in I "startx", then I open a terminal and su - and run the command: /etc/rc.d/rc.hotplug start ...after that my eth works perfectly, along with the rest of my hotplug devices...

cheers, hope it works for you!

Not sure if you have to turn it off when you go down though...still up! Tell me if you encounter any problems with it

I will try it, Stay tuned.

Didn't work for me, but starting and stopping hotplug isn't much different than running shell scripts when I start my system at different locations. It is a pain but not enough to switch distros. Plus I think I can probably fix it with a kernel recompile later when I am not so busy. Thanks for the advice though.

Linux Engineer
    no problem man, at least we both have it working