Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm unable to get Minitube working properly. I've tried running it from pre-compiled binaries downloaded from the developer's website as well as compiling it from source. The program compiles fine ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Help getting Minitube to work

I'm unable to get Minitube working properly.

I've tried running it from pre-compiled binaries downloaded from the developer's website as well as compiling it from source.

The program compiles fine and executes with identical results to the pre-compiled binaries but with a problem:

Code:
    "Warning: You do not seem to have the base GStreamer plugins installed.
              All audio and video support has been disabled" 
    Phonon::GStreamer::Backend: Failed to initialize GStreamer
    The following warning is issued upon execution and the program is as such useless since said features are unavailable.

I tried the obvious step, installing GStreamer, however to no avail; although interestingly enough, prior to installing GStreamer the warning issued was actually as follows:

Code:
    "Warning: You do not seem to have the package gstreamer0.10-plugins-good installed.
              Some video features have been disabled."
    Although despite the warning stating that "some" video features had been disabled not a single video would actually play.

Any ideas?

You used the Slackbuild for it?
    SlackBuilds.org

What is the output of
    Code:
    ls /var/log/packages | grep gstream

Looked into things a little more. Slackware's gstreamer plugins are all named gst-plugins-whatever, so give me the output of
    Code:
    ls /var/log/packages | grep gst
    as well.

Also, in the official repos, there is just gst-plugins-base and gstreamer. You can install the good, bad, and ugly plugins from slackbuild.org or from the Gnome Slackbuild Project.

It looks like minitube uses phonon, so you should also be able to change the backend from gstreamer to xine by changing the phonon backend. I don't recall exactly where to do that, but it's in the System Settings somewhere. (Assuming you're using KDE?)