Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I am somewhat new-ish to linux and have only been using it for about 6 month's. I have used ubuntu which was great for the transfer from windows to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Thinking about switching to slackware! Just a couple of questions!

Hi, I am somewhat new-ish to linux and have only been using it for about 6 month's. I have used ubuntu which was great for the transfer from windows to linux and now I am on debian... which to me isn't much different seeing how ubuntu is based off of debian.

The questions I wanted to know is:

What package manager is used for downloading? Apt-get is to debian as ? is to slackware?

How do I use the manager?

And will Slackware automatically detect an Ethernet connection since I know I have to configure it to detect the wireless...

and what exactly is xorg?

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Lights View Post
    The questions I wanted to know is:

What package manager is used for downloading? Apt-get is to debian as ? is to slackware?

How do I use the manager?

And will Slackware automatically detect an Ethernet connection since I know I have to configure it to detect the wireless...

and what exactly is xorg?
    Hello and welcome.

Slackware package tools would consist of pkgtool, slackpkg, swaret, and slapt-get, with the first two being included on the Slackware installation DVD/CD.

You can find documentation, guides, and tips for using each with some online searching, and the Slackware Essentials ebook has some tips that might prove useful to you:

Slackware Linux Essentials

I don't do any wireless devices at all so can't say for sure, but most configurations within Slackware are done manually.

Xorg is the x-server that gives you the graphics user interface. More on xorg can be found here:

X.Org Wiki - Home

Note that Slackware is not generally considered to be a new user friendly distro, but there are plenty of new users that have successfully installed and used it.
    oz