Find the answer to your Linux question:
Slackware 10 came with apache installed. How do I 1) Uninstall it? It isn't in one directory, so will slack's pgktool uninstall it all? 2) To update apache, should I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

uninstall, install, and patching programs

Slackware 10 came with apache installed. How do I

1) Uninstall it? It isn't in one directory, so will slack's pgktool uninstall it all?

2) To update apache, should I just uninstall the old version and install the new version?

3) If a new version just came out that fixes some problems, how do I patch it? can I patch it or do I have to totaly uninstall, reinstall apache?

4) Should I be using installpkg to install programs or is extracting and "./configure;make;make install" from /usr/local/src/$program okay to do?
    --monkey

Just Joined!

Re: uninstall, install, and patching programs

Quote Originally Posted by monkey8
    Slackware 10 came with apache installed. How do I

1) Uninstall it? It isn't in one directory, so will slack's pgktool uninstall it all?
    removepkg will deinstall the software (as will pkgtool). Take a look at the files in /var/log/packages/

2) To update apache, should I just uninstall the old version and install the new version?
    You could, or you could use the upgradepkg command.

3) If a new version just came out that fixes some problems, how do I patch it? can I patch it or do I have to totaly uninstall, reinstall apache?
    Assuming there is a slackware package for it, you can just run upgradepkg. Check on your favorite slackware mirror for updated patches. <ftp server>/<slackware version>/patches

4) Should I be using installpkg to install programs or is extracting and "./configure;make;make install" from /usr/local/src/$program okay to do?
    If you have Slackware package then you should use installpkg (pkgtool) to install it, that way you can deinstall/upgrade it if you want easily. If you have a source tarball then the standard ./configure;make;make install is the answer. Usually Slackware packages have a .tgz extension and will contain a file called install.sh. The source tarballs will have an extension of tar.gz or tar.bz2.

Why don't you take a look at the online book on the slackware web site
    http://www.slackware.com/book/index....rce=c3984.html
    http://www.slackware.com/book/index....rce=c3401.html