Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Alright so let me begin by saying I'm a complete noob at linux and I have no idea where to begin. I will list what I have done incase it ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Need alot of wireless help

Alright so let me begin by saying I'm a complete noob at linux and I have no idea where to begin. I will list what I have done incase it could help anybody who can help me.

It took me a while, but I have installed slackware 13 on my Sony Vaio VGN-FS760/W Notebok. I installed all the packages that come with the installation except for the extra language pack (Total a 5.7G installation).

I partitioned my drive half for / and half for /home and I have created a user and am now running xfce under that and not my root. I startx and the nice interface comes up and I'm ready to go. The problem is there is no internet, I'm pretty sure some drivers are missing, and I would like to learn how to customize my interface to something else, the problem for me is understanding all these web guides. I searched for 5 hours everywhere on how to do this stuff at my work (Not where my notebook is) trying to retain all the information i possibly could. I'm now here and no matter what I read today I can't seem to get anything working, so I've decided to ask this wonderful community.

What I'm asking for is help on:
    How to get my wireless set up
    How to get all my drivers installed
    How to change the main theme

AND all of this in english. I'm a quick learner, but I cannot self teach myself, I just need a push.

Wireless card info that I have obtained:
    Original - Intel® PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection Driver

I believe this is where I should start but I just don't know what to do.

I ave searched the forums and found waterheads thread about posting the information your looking for, but when I type his commands in the terminal it tells me the command is not found,

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by amplitude; 06-02-2010 at 11:51 PM. Reason: Missing Information

Hello and Welcome.
    You probably just need to issue those commands as the root user or use sudo, it depends on how your system is set up.
    When you login as root, be sure to include the hyphen like so
    Code:
    su -
    (password)
    Press enter. If you are still getting "command not found" then that might mean you need to install the package that supplies the needed commands. I'm not too familiar with Slack so hopefully someone else can chime in here.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Hello and Welcome!

With Slack, commands like lspci and the like aren't in the normal users executable path.
    You can do as Mike suggested (login as root), or you can enter them with the direct path: /sbin/lspci, /sbin/lsusb, /sbin/ifconfig.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Welcome to the forums!

It may be good to know why you installed Slackware. Because Slackware isn't a newbie friendly distro. And howto's about it's configuration wont feature left-clicks or right-clicks, as Slackware doesn't ship with many GUI tools. If you want something easy that is up and running Real Quick without effort, then you may want to reconsider.

If you want to run an advanced and very flexible and reliable system that is configured manually, then by all means go ahead. Slackware is a good choice. Just realize there is a learning curve. You'll really learn the Linux system, and the power and flexibility it has in the process. But you'll also find things that you considered 'easy' in a well known proprietary operating system are handled differently. The biggest challenge is to unlearn all you think you know about computers

___
    For example, let's look at these drivers. The driver system in Linux is just incomparable to how Windows handles it. In Windows, you go to the site of the hardware manufacturer to download the driver. In Linux, the drivers are handled inside the kernel. I've checked, and you'll need the ipw2200 driver for your wireless. This driver is included by default.

So chances are very good that you need to do nothing but configure your card. Let's look at your interfaces.

As root:
    Code:
    ifconfig -a
    You'll see a couple of interfaces. One will be called 'lo', this is your loopback interface (you know the saying: there's no place like 127.0.0.1 ) and probably an interface called 'eth0', which is your wired interface. Your wireless card can have different names, mine is wlan0.

Bring up the interface:
    Code:
    ifconfig wlan0 up
    Look for networks:
    Code:
    iwlist scan
    Does this work?

Then, assuming that you disabled encryption for debugging purposes (once it all works, you'll turn it back on of course)
    Code:
    iwconfig wlan0 essid your_essid

Of course, doing it like this means you'll have to do this every time you boot your machine. There's ways to automate this, so you never have to do it again. But first lets see if it works.
    Can't tell an OS by it's GUI

Just Joined!
    Alright I have done everything you indicated to do, I now understand that "lo" is my system and eth0 is my wired connection. My wireless appears to be eth1 as I inputted
    Code:
    ifconfig eth1 up
    followed by
    Code:
    iwlist scan
    and a group of networks appeared.

After I inputted
    Code:
    iwconfig eth1 essid default
    Nothing happened.

Whats next? :O

EDIT: I just tried random tihngs to set up the wired connection and that works, now for the wireless :O

After doing
    Code:
    iwconfig eth1 essid default

(assuming 'default' is your network name)
    was there any output at all? Errors?
    If not, then all went as planned.
    After inputting that command, do:
    Code:
    ifconfig eth1
    Provided you have an IP address, then you should have internet connectivity.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    I have retyped in ifconfig eth1 and this is what coes up:

bash-4.1# iwconfig eth1 essid default
    bash-4.1# ifconfig eth1
    eth1 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:13:ce:44:19:ca
    inet6 addr: fe80::213:ceff:fe44:19ca/64 Scope:Link
    UP BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:6 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
    RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:432 (432.0 B)
    Interrupt:22 Base address:0xe000 Memory:b0006000-b0006fff

bash-4.1# ifconfig eth0
    eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:01:4a:c2:aa:dd
    BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
    RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)

The internet no longer works wired, and doesn't work with my wireless.

Is the name of your network Default? You must supply the correct essid name. After you connect as above, did you run dhcp? or dhclient eth1?
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.

Just Joined!
    bash-4.1# iwconfig eth1
    eth1 IEEE 802.11bg ESSID:"default" Nickname:"Tarantula"
    Mode:Managed Frequency:2.437 GHz Access Point: 00:80:C8:0C:53:42
    Bit Rate:11 Mb/s Tx-Power=20 dBm Sensitivity=8/0
    Retry limit:7 RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off
    Encryption key:off
    Power Management:off
    Link Quality=92/100 Signal level=-36 dBm Noise level=-82 dBm
    Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
    Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:138 Missed beacon:1

Thats what i get after i type in iwconfig eth1 and its a lowercase d.

And no what is dhcp or dhclient?

EDIT: omg it works, THANK YOU <3 I just typed in dhclient and opened a window and there it was :O! but how do i make it automatic now?

Quote Originally Posted by amplitude View Post
    bash-4.1# iwconfig eth1
    eth1 IEEE 802.11bg ESSID:"default" Nickname:"Tarantula"
    Mode:Managed Frequency:2.437 GHz Access Point: 00:80:C8:0C:53:42
    Bit Rate:11 Mb/s Tx-Power=20 dBm Sensitivity=8/0
    Retry limit:7 RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off
    Encryption key:off
    Power Management:off
    Link Quality=92/100 Signal level=-36 dBm Noise level=-82 dBm
    Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
    Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:138 Missed beacon:1

Thats what i get after i type in iwconfig eth1 and its a lowercase d.

And no what is dhcp or dhclient?

EDIT: omg it works, THANK YOU <3 I just typed in dhclient and opened a window and there it was :O! but how do i make it automatic now?

Glad you got it working, I would suggest that you wait on someone else to answer your last question, I don't know where Slack keeps it's net config files.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast