Find the answer to your Linux question:
Like i said i want to put slackware on a pentium 133 with 16 mb of ram and an 800 mb hd. I want to use it for developing in ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Want to put slackware on my pentium 133 with 16 mb ram and 800 mb hd

Like i said i want to put slackware on a pentium 133 with 16 mb of ram and an 800 mb hd. I want to use it for developing in c, c++, and javaScript. Unfortunately i cant use anything more powerful, and i dont expect to make anything too incredible, i just want to learn more with those languages and am limited by my computer.Also i am fairly new to linux. My main questions are what version of slackware should i use and where can i download them from? I was thinking About version 4.0 or older because of the machine, but i cant find it anywhere and i dont really know what im doing. If anyone could point me in the right direction thatd be great, thanks

Hello and Welcome!

I'm not certain that you would want a version quite as old as 4, but I do see your reasoning.
    The RAM is definitely going to be a limiting factor for you. Looking at your post, I know this might not be an option, but if you could up the RAM count to around 64 MB, you'd probably be able to pull off a minimal install of Slack 13.

As far as where to get it, this should help.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    Well im not currently able to upgrade the memory, and i see where your coming from about limiting myself with the old version. Do you have any suggestions of a newer build i could use that work and not limit me as much as 4.0? Thanks for the help btw

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Minix?
    It's not really Linux, but it does meet your requirements, and has a current version of gcc.
    I've never played with it, but I always thought that it looked interesting and very usable.

Here's the actual home page, where you can find other info on it.

*EDIT*

I know you were asking about Slack, but I, personally, don't know which version would run on your hardware.
    Last edited by jayd512; 06-11-2010 at 02:19 AM. Reason: Added information
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

I agree with jayd512. Minix will work fine on those specs. 16MB RAM is a roadblock for most of distros in that category.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Okay, ill take a closer look at it but from what ive heard its not as well put together as linux, nor does it have the kind of support system linux has. I thing for now ill try putting slackware on it most likely 4 or 7. 7 shouldnt be too taxing on the system and it will have more features than 4.

Just Joined!
    But yea i might partition the drive and try minix. Thanks