Find the answer to your Linux question:
It is quite astounding, but I'm unable to find a decent hex editor for GNU/Linux -- let alone a really good one. I don't really care if it is GUI ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Hex editor?

It is quite astounding, but I'm unable to find a decent hex editor for GNU/Linux -- let alone a really good one.

I don't really care if it is GUI or console based, but it has to work properly, the curses-based ones that I've tried somehow manage to corrupt its own display by merely scrolling through the file being edited.

So, my question is, what is a good hex editor for GNU/Linux? If possible I'd gladly like to know both the name of a console based one and another GUI-based one. What do you guys use?

unfortunately, I've been so far unable to locate a great one. What I do is use VIM, if you load a binary file, and run

:%xxd

it will convert the file to hex. if you run

:%xxd -r

it will reverse it. It is not a GREAT hex editor, actualy it's pretty bad, but it is the only thing I've found that works.
    New to the internet, technical forums, or the hacker / open source community??
    Read this to learn good posting habits http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

RHCE for RHEL version 5
    RHCT for RHEL version 4

EUA
    Just Joined!
    I was couldn't find one GUI based hex editor too. Than, decided to make one.
    Here is the program you are looking for.

*ttp://wxhexeditor.sourceforge.net

It's open sourced and could open files / disk devices up to exabyte size...

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close