Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Whoopsy.. i totally screwed this up. I fixed my mouse.. and then decided I would xorgconfig, and now my screen is all screwed up. My video card is a Voodoo3, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

xorg.conf

Whoopsy.. i totally screwed this up. I fixed my mouse.. and then decided I would xorgconfig, and now my screen is all screwed up. My video card is a Voodoo3, and my monitor is a Viewsonic G90FB, the two don't like each other. I have a screen in KDE, but it's not pretty.. it's only at the top of my screen, and it's all scratchy and I can't make out much, except that it's my desktop. Anyway for me to view this file to change some of the resolutions? I think it's running it at 1600x1200, and I don't want anymore than 1280x1024. Any suggestions? Thanks guys .

-justin

Just Joined!
    Oh yeah, I can command line just fine. So umm.. guess I need to know how to open xorg.conf from there. I don't really know commands all that well, if you couldn't tell .

-justin

Linux Engineer
    I think its in /etc/X11/, cd there and then pico it hope thats right anyway

Just Joined!
    yeah, how do I pico it? like this?
    Code:
    pico - /etc/x11/xorg.conf
    EDIT: ok i'm dumb. when I cd the file, do I just type pico ./xorg.conf?

-justin

Just Joined!
    got it

Code:
    cd /etc/X11/
    pico xorg.conf

-justin

Linux Engineer
    thats it, hopefully, you can remember what was where, I hate messing with this file!!!

Just Joined!
    It's strange.. everything looks fine. Guess i'll have to live with 1024x768, because that's the only thing out of place

EDIT: Guess I know more than I know. Ctrl+shift+o.. figures.

-justin

I always make a copy before I mess with it so If I screw it up bad enough I have a known good starting point.
    to change your screen settings change your horizontal and vertical settings and that will change your rez.

mines says

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "Monitor0"
    HorizSync 31.5-50
    VertRefresh 40 - 90
    #more nonimportant stuff
    endSection

If you change the 90 to 50 it changes to something like 800x600 if you change to to something like 70 it looks like 1024x768. If yours is opposite like it says 50 you change it to 90 and it is like 1200x1024 or so.
    This worked for me anyways,

Good Luck
    Mike

Just Joined!
    I screwed this up, bad. I can't get it to work, no matter what. Is there anyway I can replace this with the default file.. or something like that? I don't want to completly reinstall slack, because I already have some files on there I don't want to reinstall. Am I screwed?

-justin

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by opensourceguy
    I screwed this up, bad. I can't get it to work, no matter what. Is there anyway I can replace this with the default file.. or something like that? I don't want to completly reinstall slack, because I already have some files on there I don't want to reinstall. Am I screwed?
    I don't want to sound mean or anything, but I think it is time you learn what the config file does and what each part of it does. Read the man page for xorg.conf

As a side note, if you want the original file back read up on the tar command and find your slackware CD. You might want to do a man man as well. There are a lot of resources on your local machine that are holding the anwsers.

Again, I'm not trying to be mean.... but it helps to know how things work if you want to fix things.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast