Find the answer to your Linux question:
Question 1: Have been advised to use "installpkg" not "slackpkg" because the later is for use across the network. This is confusing to me because in reading and checking the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

[SOLVED] Re-install a package

Question 1:
    Have been advised to use "installpkg" not "slackpkg" because the later is for use across the network. This is confusing to me because in reading and checking the web it seems that slackpkg could do the job. Else, why does it have cdrom as a mirror??
    Question 2:
    If I do use installpkg it wants package names for installation. I only know the application name. How do I find the package name??

oz
    forum.guy
    Many of the hardcore Slackware users will always suggest installpkg over any other package tool, but I am pretty sure that slackpkg will install packages from a cdrom as well. If you haven't found it already, check this HowTo for package management under Slackware. Back when I ran Slackware, I always used pkgtool and had really good results with it.
    oz

Linux User

Re-install a package

Tnx ozar, pkgtool was my favorite too until I discovered that I could no longer expect to reinstall an application once I removed it. I seem to remember I could do that because it save the removed info and allowed for reinstall.
    Will check the "Essentials ..." I hadn't used it lately.
    Hopefully someone can answer question #2.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    oz
    forum.guy
    Installpkg won't download any packages for you, but if you've already downloaded a package for installing with it you should be able to check the package name by looking at it in the folder where it resides. I don't believe there is any way to think of an application name and install the package for it with installpkg using the application name alone. If nothing else, you might be able to use pkgtool to look around in some different directories and/or devices for the package name of the package that you wish to install.

Sorry if I've misunderstood the question.
    oz

Linux User

Re-install a package

Finally a solution! Did a search on each CD until I found the applications removed via pkgtool in the 3rd CD's list of files. Then checked the package list on that CD and fortunately the names were the same. Had been concerned the due to dependencies the applications pieces could have been split between packages but in at least this case that does not seem to be a problem.
    Would still like to have a published list of dependencies to work from just in case this is a problem down the road. Unless I find otherwise I shall presume applications are distributed within a single package.
    Hope to find out how to use slackpkg to install/upgrade/remove from CD so I won't have to remember the individual apps and pkgtool too.
    THX! again 4 UR help, ozar.

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by clickit View Post
    Would still like to have a published list of dependencies to work from just in case this is a problem down the road.
    Neither pkgtool or installpkg will reveal dependencies but if you installed all the packages on the Slackware installation disk when you installed Slackware you usually won't run into dependency issues. Of course you might if you decide to install something not found in the usual Slackware repositories. I don't recall if slackpkg pulls in dependencies automatically, or not. I know that slapt-get and swaret do pull in dependencies but I don't know if either of them are still active projects.
    oz

Linux User

(SOLVED)Re-install a package

Yes, I understand that Slackware distributes its packages having worked out all the dependencies. My problem had been in relating applications to packages. I did run into a good historical review of Slackware package tools at: Linux.com :: A look at Slackware's package utilities
    It covered swaret, slackpkg, pkgtool, xxxpkg, slapt-get, etc. and the very promising portpkg.
    When I write software which depends on specific libraries, applications, etc. I have always noted same in a special paragraph, its my science training I guess. Hence my desire to have others do likewise but they do not live in my world.
    Again thanks very much for your straight forward response and assistance. It was a great help.