Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I have some problems with current Slackware Linux 64bits under a VMware Workstation. Previously don't have this problem. The problem is that it (a module?) crashes and I can ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Slackware 64 and VMware workstation.

Hi,
    I have some problems with current Slackware Linux 64bits under a VMware Workstation.
    Previously don't have this problem.
    The problem is that it (a module?) crashes and I can see kernel broadcasting messages on the konsole.
    This only happens after the host pc resume from sleep.
    Also another issue is that hgfs stops working after sometime.
    Does anyone have experiences on that?
    Although I think this is a kernel issue, either it was mis-configured or ... something isn't right because Slackware64 13.0 was ok.

Just Joined!
    No one? use vmware workstation ?

Just Joined!
    I haven't installed slack13.1, I've actually not installed slack since 12.2 and never into a VM.
    In those days you had to install using the image that supports "acpi" in the kernel, this might still be the case.
    The fact that the problem happens when the machine wakes up, to me, indicates a likely acpi problem.
    Since VMWare creates virtual hardware devices, it's VM's might not support acpi, and if the new slack installs with acpi by default it could cause the problem you're getting.
    You might also have to enable acpi in VMWare's prefs.

Why not go with a dual boot instead?
    It'll be a much better experience since vmware creates machines with only a small amount of cpu power and memory, and no real graphics acceleration to speak of.

You could also pass a kernel option during boot, such as "noacpi" if that's still a valid option.
    Best of luck...

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close