Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi, I am new to slack and installed the recommended complete slackware which accounts for around 5 GB of my hard drive. 1)I installed powertop by compiling it from the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question [SOLVED] how to uninstall a particular prog in slackware

hi,
    I am new to slack and installed the recommended complete slackware which accounts for around 5 GB of my hard drive.
    1)I installed powertop by compiling it from the source. i did this by "make" and then make DESTDIR=myhomedirectory install. This installed powertop on my machine. Now when i go to uninstall it i don't find it in either pkgtool remove programs nor i can remove it through pkgremove.I removed all the directories i had created wrt powertop but still it works.Could you also explain what happens in the DESTDIR and should it be in my home folder or somewhere else?I also tried to create a binary package file using makepkg but it did not work.
    2)Since i am short of memory i was planning to uninstall some programs which come with kde enviroment but these are not present in pkgtool -> remove. How do i remove such programs?

oz
    forum.guy
    Hello and welcome to the forums!

You might be able to remove it with "make uninstall". If that doesn't work, try checking the folders/files that were in the extracted tarball for any README files that might contain uninstall instructions.
    oz

Just Joined!
    Got it. I can either use pkgtool remove option (the package i have installed are listed there) or can use slackpkg remove.