Find the answer to your Linux question:
I just installed Slackware 13.1, and have a problem installing the printer. It's a parallel port printer, and when I get to the choices, the parallel port option is grayed-out. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Thumbs up Printer install problem & upgrade application?

I just installed Slackware 13.1, and have a problem installing the printer. It's a parallel port printer, and when I get to the choices, the parallel port option is grayed-out. Why is it grayed-out and how do I make it available?
    Also, I got the message "CUPS Service Stopped The CUPS printer spooler does not appear to be running. To correct choose system>Administratiin>Services from the main menu and look for CUPS service. . System is there, but there is no entry for Administration. Nothing anywhere indicating "CUPS service". Where did it disappear to?
    I was also looking for the package tool, and none is listed anywhere. Is all this done from the command line in 13.1? I was using 12.0,. and it had a package tool entry on the menu. There is no package tool listed on any part of the menu. I really loved 12.0 because everything worked without a hitch. This 13.1 is one problem after another.
    Should I do a re-install? Something is wrong here, and I don't think it's all my ignorance.
    Any help would be appreciated.

I decided to do a clean install of a 13.0 DVD I have on hand. It installed and is working flawlessly. What the problem was with 13.1, I don't know. But, I have Slackware up and running and that's all I care about.
    Last edited by sandlynx; 08-21-2010 at 10:38 PM. Reason: Problem resolved (not exactly solved)

Just Joined!
    Is all this done from the command line in 13.1?
    Almost everything in slackware is done from the command line. I would really learn the commandline way of doing things because it can make life easier in the long run.
    It's a parallel port printer, and when I get to the choices, the parallel port option is grayed-out. Why is it grayed-out and how do I make it available?
    You didn't really specify where you were looking. Is this in the KDE control center, the CUPS web interface, some command line configuration thingy? A bit more info would be useful.
    I decided to do a clean install of a 13.0 DVD I have on hand. It installed and is working flawlessly. What the problem was with 13.1
    Sometimes an upgrade can break things (especially older devices like a parallel port printer).
    However, I like having the latest and greatest, so give this a try. Post the output of the following commands and we'll see what we can do:
    Code:
    ls -lah /etc/rc.d/
    This should show us if the CUPSd is starting at boot.
    Code:
    nmap localhost
    This should show us if the CUPSd is running at all.
    Code:
    slackpkg
    This should be the package manager in Slackware 13.1 (I can't say for sure as I'm using a heavily stripped down/modified version of Slackware 12 on a netbook).