Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
As far as i know its quite easy to install slackware 13.1 *put in the DVD *sign in as root *#cfdisk (1 logical partition will be swap Type 82 other ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

As far as i know its quite easy to install slackware 13.1
    *put in the DVD
    *sign in as root
    *#cfdisk
    (1 logical partition will be swap Type 82 other primary and save it)
    *#setup
    and rest is easy

Here is the video that will tell you everything how to get started
    YouTube - Slackware 13.1 Installation

ooo i forgot you wanted to dual boot right

you will have to resise partition
    info here THPC: Use GParted to Resize the Windows 7 or Vista Partition or Drive

then create your linux partition on the freed up space

then you create your parititions for linux

now im not a 100% but when you install grub it wont see win7 so you'll have to edit it
    Last edited by donaldfarkas; 09-15-2010 at 01:22 AM.

Just Joined!
    I have successfully installed SW13 on another laptop (Dell), it was pretty simple. Everything works with the exception of the WLAN, which I need to configure. I will work on that.
    I am not interested in anything "easier" or I would just continue with windows . I have been a computer user for around 30 years, so I am not unfamiliar with a command line, partitions, editing .sys files etc. I may be an old dog but I can learn new syntax.
    I will try again this evening.

Quote Originally Posted by AnGabhar
    I have successfully installed SW13 on another laptop (Dell), it was pretty simple. Everything works with the exception of the WLAN, which I need to configure. I will work on that.
    I am not interested in anything "easier" or I would just continue with windows
    Hey! Congratulations! So you're a slacker now

I hope I didn't put you off too much

It's just, partitioning tools can be very dangerous in the hands of inexperienced users, and then there is the matter of the graphics card. It can be a terrifying and frustrating experience when you blow up your Windows install and the machine doesn't work anymore and all your files are lost.

Quote Originally Posted by AnGabhar
    I have been a computer user for around 30 years, so I am not unfamiliar with a command line, partitions, editing .sys files etc. I may be an old dog but I can learn new syntax.
    Excellent. Ok, have fun!

All you really need for running Slack is curiosity and the will to learn. Just remember that it comes with very little graphical configuration tools and is configured mostly through the command line. If you're used to .sys files, you'll find /etc is very similar. Here's the Slackbook but most detailed and up to date info is in the man pages. Also, it's good to know all commands but also most config files have their man page.
    Can't tell an OS by it's GUI

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2