Find the answer to your Linux question:
In the instructions for slackpkg, it says, "Before you do anything, you will need to uncomment one mirror in /etc/slackpkg/mirrors file and run: # slackpkg update" This is a simple ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Uncommenting a file -- for slackpkg

In the instructions for slackpkg, it says, "Before you do anything, you will need to uncomment one mirror in /etc/slackpkg/mirrors file and run:
    # slackpkg update"

This is a simple noob question: There are a few mirrors to choose form in the file. But, I'm wondering whether you uncomment just the FTP line or
    the two lines:
    #USA, 45 Mbit
    # FTP line.

Do I uncomment both lines for this to work properly, or just the one ftp line?
    I'm sure it's obvious to a geek, but not to a noob. Any help would be appreciated.

No, just the FTP one. The other line is an actual comment on the (performance of the) server
    Can't tell an OS by it's GUI

Just Joined!
    Freston,
    Thanks, that helps, expecially when you explain what a line is for. How would I know otherwise?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by sandlynx
    Thanks, that helps, expecially when you explain what a line is for
    Sure! You're welcome

Quote Originally Posted by sandlynx
    How would I know otherwise?
    It wants to FTP something over, so we're travelling on TCP/IP. And none of these three protocols take country names as argument, nor do they rely on human readable formats as 45 Mbit to coordinate transfer rates, as these things are handled at much much lower layers in the communication. I could therefore deduce that the machine would not rely on the contents of those lines for operation, and then trial without error led me to believe I was right.

Reasoning thus, I could see that the contents of these lines are not necessary for the machine, but that they are quite informative for a human operator wanting to know which mirror would offer best performance.

It is therefore my estimation the author of the mirrors file has seen fit to include some commentary remarks on the performance of the mirroring servers for the benefit of the human operator.

See? It's elementary, dear Watson
    Can't tell an OS by it's GUI