Find the answer to your Linux question:
using slackware10 as per the subject which kernel should I be installing as default to get the most hardware support, normally I choose bare.i, as I dont know what the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

which kernel (as shipped) contains the best hardware support

using slackware10

as per the subject which kernel should I be installing as default to get the most hardware support, normally I choose bare.i, as I dont know what the others are.

tried playing with kernel 2.6.9 setting on an old pc but with out butchering my live pc the hardware is different.

my hardware is FX5200, bmc52X cdrw, samsung dvd x4, SB5.1 player, p4 1400, 256 p800 ram. Hp720C printer, Canoscan 656U usb scanner.

The 2.6.* branch of the kernel is the current, cutting edge. Obviously this branch would have the best HW support.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Just Joined!
    ok didn't explain well enough, I mean which of the 2.4 kernel that come with Slack 10, will have the best hardware support, i'm assuming the bare.i has the least !

if I get all working without having to play with 2.6 all the better, as it's normal desktop for the family I dont really want the machine down too long otherwise the complaints start.

otherwise i'm tempted to wait till 10.1 is released with 2.6.* inc

Talion,
    I too am using the stock kernel. I am using the bari. I tried to upgrade the the 26* and found I lost some hardware and gained some different stuff I tried 3 times and couldn't get everything working. I have everything working now in the bare-i 2.4 The only thing I can't get working are the NVidia 3d drivers on my laptop. I think it is a Toshiba thing I found the same posts and never found a solution, but I don't play games and the NV driver works fine so I just forget about it. (BTW the nvidia drivers work it just leaves a 1/4 inch black strip on the screen. ) Anyways Is there something the Bare-i isn't doing for you is there something I can help you with?
    Mike

Linux Newbie
    The kernel you need to use is defined by your hardware. The generic(bare.i) will support most of the hardware anybody will use.
    If you need acpi support, such as for a laptop or certain desktop motherboards, bareacpi.i should be your choice.
    If you need SCSI support, use scsi.i. And so on.
    All non-bare.i kernels are identical to bare.i except for the fact that they add support for their specialty. So, if you don't need to support anything special, bare.i is your best choice.
    OH NOOOOO!!!!!! You did it the way I said?

Just Joined!
    Cheers guys,

I'll get the error messages, been away for a little while and not had a chance to look at ti.