Find the answer to your Linux question:
How do i get the software setss mentioned in the manual..Is it only from the install disk? I am asking as the size seems to be a tad bigger than ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Software Sets

How do i get the software setss mentioned in the manual..Is it only from the install disk? I am asking as the size seems to be a tad bigger than other distros ...>700 MB....Can I get a core package and install my requirements from net thru Package manager ?

oz
    forum.guy
    I'm not sure that I understand your question, but if you want to obtain the complete Slackware distribution, you can order it from the Slackware Store, or download it from one of the mirrors that host it:

The Slackware Linux Project: Get Slack

You can get the complete distribution on six CD disks, or on one DVD. There are a number of Linux CD vendors online that sell Slackware CD/DVD sets for a low price as well. If you only want certain packages, you can download them from any of the mirrors that host Slackware.
    oz

With the first three you get everything in binary, the rest is source. But it comes down to that the entire distro is one DVD. If you use only the first CD you'll end up with a bootable system, but without X or any of the bling.

There's more ways than one to deal with this, but the recommended method is to do a full install.

There are ways that let you pick and choose and bake your own custom CD with only what you need, but it's a manual process. You can also install over the network, USB,or local mounted .iso file.

Slackware has a package manager but that doesn't do dependency resolving. The official advice is to do a full install.
    Can't tell an OS by it's GUI

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Get something other than Slack. Plenty of distros without Slack's headaches.
    Linux Online - Distributions and FTP Sites
    Choose what you need from the beginning

Just Joined!
    Thanks everyone...Guess I have to get the DVD for slack

Quote Originally Posted by previso
    Plenty of distros without Slack's headaches
    Plenty of distros without Slacks strengths too, ya know

In the end it all comes down to taste.
    Can't tell an OS by it's GUI

Just Joined!
    Yes no doubt ..Each Distro has its own strngths and focus areas ...It boils down to the User though....Gentoo and Slack is still respected among the Linux community for its stability and clearcut approach....Just bcos one finds it difficult , we cant generalize..In fact Slax , one of the greatest mini distro is based from Slack!