Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a slackware 13.1 system and I have 1 main partition and I need to shrink it down to make room for a second partition. Its in ext4 format ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

partitioning

I have a slackware 13.1 system and I have 1 main partition and I need to shrink it down to make room for a second partition. Its in ext4 format can someone please tell me how to shrink my partition and create a second 1 without damaging the data on my system. Can someone please tell me how to repartition my system

oz
    forum.guy
    Try using gparted on the Parted Magic LiveCD. It can easily shrink/expand/move partitions. Of course, it's always wise to have a backup of all important data on hand before manipulating partitions on any hard drive.
    oz

Just Joined!

partitioning

Ya but how do I set it back to ext4 once its partitioned and how do I tell it the image to use or whatever on that partition

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    oz
    forum.guy
    The partitioner will create the file system of your choice during the partitioning/formatting process.
    oz

Just Joined!

partitioning

But will it still know where all my data is or will i have to somehow tell it the location of my image or whatever. I thought i had to do something like use an export command to a certian directory or mount the directory or something like that so the partition knows what to do

oz
    forum.guy
    If you are wanting to spread your current system across the old and any new partition(s), you'll have to edit your bootloader config file and fstab file accordingly. Those edits don't really come under the heading of partitioning, though.
    oz

Just Joined!

partitioning

How do I go about doing that stuff ? I wouldnt know what edits to make im new to linux.

oz
    forum.guy
    The edits would depend on the final partition layout and what is to go on them.

If you are wanting to learn about the inner workings of those things, you are probably on the correct path to do just that. If time is currently more important, it might be quicker if you create your partitions as desired, then reinstall the OS. You can then restore any data to the fresh system after it's in place.
    oz