Find the answer to your Linux question:
I just tried to setup a dual booth with Slackware 13.1 and Win XP. I installed XP first on my second hard drive (sdb1) and then installed Slackware on the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

trouble dual booting

I just tried to setup a dual booth with Slackware 13.1 and Win XP. I installed XP first on my second hard drive (sdb1) and then installed Slackware on the first hard drive (sda1). I chose to do things this way, because sda1 is the newer and larger drive, and I want to run Slackware as the primary OS. The installation apparently went fine, but now I can't boot into Windows. When LILO, it lists both Windows and Linux, but I can only get into Linux. When I select Windows I just get a black screen. Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong and how to fix it will be greatly appreciated!

I will say that I installed LILI in the MBR, so may have written over some Windows info there. Also, I tried to map the drives around in LILO using map-drive = 0x80 to 0x81 etc... but that doesn't fix the problem by itself. I do get an stating NTLDR missing... after mapping though, so it seems like it is doing something.

Thanks to anyone who responds in advance.

- tlawren300

Hi and Welcome !

Post the contents of /etc/lilo.conf file here.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

@home...soon in your homes ;) /usr/src/bulgaria
    kind of same problem here
    My comp is a bit old and it has only 2 sata slots - 1 for CD/DVD and 2 for HDD.
    So i installed Slack with this config and after that i swaped the CD/DVD with my linux HDD, and on the second sata i put my old HDD (window$ 7). and now the only time i can boot into Win, i put my old HDD in BIOS to be the first to boot
    here is my lilo.conf
    Code:
    # LILO configuration file                                                                                                                                                           
    # generated by 'liloconfig'                                                                                                                                                         
    #                                                                                                                                                                                   
    # Start LILO global section                                                                                                                                                         
    boot = /dev/sda                                                                                                                                                                     
    #compact        # faster, but won't work on all systems.                                                                                                                            
    # Boot BMP Image.                                                                                                                                                                   
    # Bitmap in BMP format: 640x480x8                                                                                                                                                   
      bitmap = /boot/slack.bmp                                                                                                                                                          
    # Menu colors (foreground, background, shadow, highlighted                                                                                                                          
    # foreground, highlighted background, highlighted shadow):                                                                                                                          
      bmp-colors = 255,0,255,0,255,0                                                                                                                                                    
    # Location of the option table: location x, location y, number of                                                                                                                   
    # columns, lines per column (max 15), "spill" (this is how many                                                                                                                     
    # entries must be in the first column before the next begins to                                                                                                                     
    # be used.  We don't specify it here, as there's just one column.                                                                                                                   
      bmp-table = 60,6,1,16                                                                                                                                                             
    # Timer location x, timer location y, foreground color,                                                                                                                             
    # background color, shadow color.                                                                                                                                                   
      bmp-timer = 65,27,0,255
    # Standard menu.
    # Or, you can comment out the bitmap menu above and
    # use a boot message with the standard menu:
    #message = /boot/boot_message.txt

# Append any additional kernel parameters:
    append=" vt.default_utf8=0"
    prompt
    timeout = 300
    # VESA framebuffer console @ 1024x768x64k
    vga = 791
    # Normal VGA console
    # vga = normal
    # VESA framebuffer console @ 1024x768x64k
    # vga=791
    # VESA framebuffer console @ 1024x768x32k
    # vga=790
    # VESA framebuffer console @ 1024x768x256
    # vga=773
    # VESA framebuffer console @ 800x600x64k
    # vga=788
    # VESA framebuffer console @ 800x600x32k
    # vga=787
    # VESA framebuffer console @ 800x600x256
    # vga=771
    # VESA framebuffer console @ 640x480x64k
    # vga=785
    # VESA framebuffer console @ 640x480x32k
    # vga=784
    # VESA framebuffer console @ 640x480x256
    # vga=769
    # ramdisk = 0     # paranoia setting
    # End LILO global section
    # Linux bootable partition config begins
    image = /boot/vmlinuz
      root = /dev/sda1
      label = Slackware
      read-only  # Partitions should be mounted read-only for checking
    # Linux bootable partition config ends
    # Windows bootable partition config begins
    image = /dev/sdb
      root = /dev/sdb1
      label = Windows
      read-only # Partitions should be mounted read-only for checking

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    Code:
    image = /dev/sdb
      root = /dev/sdb1
      label = Windows
    try :

other = /dev/sdb1
    label = Windows
    table = /dev/sdb
    P4 1.8, 1G DDR ram, 64mb GF2 MX400, 80G WD and 40G Maxtor, ECS mobo. Playing XP,Slack 12.0 and Vector Linux 5.8 GOLD, STD 6.0 Zenwalk 4.6.1, OpenBSD 3.9

@home...soon in your homes ;) /usr/src/bulgaria
    Quote Originally Posted by icedtea View Post
    Code:
    image = /dev/sdb
      root = /dev/sdb1
      label = Windows
    try :

other = /dev/sdb1
    label = Windows
    table = /dev/sdb