Find the answer to your Linux question:
So far, I've managed to get Slackware 13.1 installed and working pretty decently. I have just run into a couple of hiccups, the first of which being that, despite the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

[SOLVED] Two issues with Slackware (Wicd and Sudo)

So far, I've managed to get Slackware 13.1 installed and working pretty decently. I have just run into a couple of hiccups, the first of which being that, despite the fact my user (in this case, arin) is added to netdev, wicd-curses still gives me a message asking to add the user to netdev. (This seems to have resolved itself, but I'll keep an eye out.)

The second issue is I can't get sudo to work. In Arch, I have my sudoers file set to read

Code:
    arin ALL=(ALL) ALL
    If I type a command that requires root access, say "sudo shutdown -h now", I get the response "sudo: shutdown: command not found." I added the user to the wheel group, and have the entry "/wheel ALL=(ALL) ALL" as well. In every other distribution I've used, this has worked, but it's not working here. Is there anything I'm missing?
    Last edited by arinlares; 12-01-2010 at 08:42 AM.

My guess is that when running sudo, you aren't getting
    the same path as root. I'm not sure what to do about it
    though.

sudo changes PATH - why? - Stack Overflow

I always add /sbin /usr/sbin /usr/local/sbin to my default user path. That way I get a load of 'permission denied' errors, rather than loads of 'command not found' errors

It might solve your problem as well...

The thing about wicd, I couldn't say what went wrong. The only thing that comes to mind is that you always need to log out and back in again before changes to the /etc/group file take effect.
    Can't tell an OS by it's GUI

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    In Arch, /sbin and /usr/sbin are in the default $PATH. In Slackware, this is not the case. You can add those to your $PATH if you like, or run shutdown with the full path.
    Code:
    sudo /sbin/shutdown -h now
    For the former, add to your .bash_profile a line
    Code:
    PATH=$PATH:/sbin:/usr/sbin

Linux Newbie
    I thought it was a reboot, but logging out is much faster, I'll do that next time.

Anyway, I checked the link rcgreen posted, and need to remember to log in instead of rebooting (much faster, I'm certain). I copied reed9's entry into my .bash_profile, and it fixed the problem, and I also learned how to fix this in the future when I inevitably upgrade to the next version of Slackware, whenever that happens. Thanks for the help, guys!