Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
I went back to the avasys website and searched again. I went to the forum and someone said to use the pips driver, not the escpr driver. So I went ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

I went back to the avasys website and searched again. I went to the forum and someone said to use the pips driver, not the escpr driver. So I went to the avasys, Linux driver page. I dropped down to the lower half of the page and found another entry for NX215 All-in-One. This is the pipslite driver and Image Scan! for Linux drivers. This pips driver does work. But, NX215, PPD file is not listed. On the webpage for the NX215, it has the PPD file to download. I downloaded that and used it. Then, I just followed your instructions.
    The abasys webpage is confusing because it has NX215 listed under escpr driver when this driver does not work for the NX215. It doesn't tell you anyplace to use the pipslite driver. That would be very helpful. I had to accidentally discover that info on their forum, which, by the way, the developer seldom answers. There's page after page of questions, and no answers. I guess I just got lucky when I found that comment about using pipslite.
    Now, I have to install the scanner driver. Maybe I should start a new thread, but I'll ask you. In the instructions for installing the scanner software for the NX215, it says that "The SANE package version 1.0.3 or late must be installed before installing 'Image Scan! for Linux' ". The current version of sane on Slackware 13.0 seems to be (found under man sane) /usr/doc/sane-1.0.19. So, I likely need to upgrade my version of SANE, right? So, I'll go to the SANE website and see if there is an upgrade there in rpm. If you have any pointers about this, I'd appreciate it.
    Last edited by sandlynx; 12-17-2010 at 08:09 PM.

Well that can't be right. The latest release of SANE is 1.0.21, there is no 1.0.3.

I have a NX515 which also uses pipslite and iscan, and Arch uses the latest SANE release, it all works fine. (Of course, I'm fortunate to benefit from the labor of others, as both pipslite and iscan are available from the Arch User Repository.)

I would just give it a go at installing. We'll worry about trying to upgrade to the latest release of SANE if there is a problem.

Just Joined!
    reed9,
    Hey, I posted earlier how I solved this, and it's not here!
    Again, I went to the avasys.com website and did a search. In the forums someone said to use the pipslite drive instead of the escpr driver. I went looking for that, downloaded it, along with the scanner driver, and the printer is now working.
    I also asked you about the scanner driver, befor I try to install: In the installantion instructins for the scanner driver, it says that "The SANE package version 1.0.3 or later must be installed before installing Image Scan! for Linux.
    I went to the sane website, and looked for that version, and didn't find any close. What I did find, under supported divices, was that Stylus NX215 (NX210 series) USB is supported by epson2, version 1.0.124. This is the highest version I could find. No 1.0.3 or anything close.
    On another webpage it says: "SANE - Download
    You don't need this package if you use one of the more advanced graphical
    frontends like XSane. ....

Linux

Most Linux distributions package SANE with modifications required to support
    their authentication or permissions systems. We recommend you use the vendor's
    packages. If you need a more updated version of SANE, be prepared to build from
    source, and ask on a distro-specific forum for advice...."
    So, I'm a little confused here. Should I just go ahead and install the scanner software with the sane version now installed? Or what?

I would go ahead and try building iscan with whatever version of sane slackware provides and see how it goes.

If it's helpful, I took a look at the arch build script for it, and they pass a couple of options to the configure script.
    Code:
    ./configure --enable-jpeg --enable-png --enable-frontend --with-pic
    The dependencies are listed as gtk2, sane, and iscan-data (which in turn depends on udev (probably installed on your system already), and libxslt.

Just Joined!
    reed9,
    I checked again, and here's a copy of what the manual says:
    "Before using Image Scan! for Linux, check the following:

The SANE package version 1.0.3 or later must be installed before
    installing Image Scan! for Linux."
    Okay, I'll try to install with what I have on Slackware 13.0 right now. If there's a problem, I'll be back.
    Thanks for your quick reply.

Just Joined!
    reed9,
    I took a look at the script, and since I'm not a programmer, I don't really know what it all means. Some is obvious. At this rate, I'm going to have to plow through those Linux Programming books--"Linux Programming" and "C". Then I might get a clue as to what's going on!

Just Joined!
    reed9,
    I'll take a look for these: "The dependencies are listed as gtk2, sane, and iscan-data (which in turn depends on udev (probably installed on your system already), and libxslt." Thanks for your help.

Just Joined!
    reed9,
    I installed the scanner software, and it doesn't work. I read the instructions for avasys on how to get the scanner working if it isn't just working by clicking on the menu entry of from the command line. As normal user and as root, it didn't start the scanner. It says "Below we will try to explain how to get your scanner to work in those cases that just installing is not quite enough."
    But before that, we would like to point out that the kernel's scanner module was declared obsolete as of kernel version 2.6.0 and removed from the kernel altogether in version 2.6.3. We recommend yuou switch to using libusb if you have done so already. (Note: My kernel version is 2.6.29.6-smp. and I think this is the reason the scanner software isn't working.)
    I clicked on Image Scan! for Linux in the menu and got the message "Could not send command to scanner. Check the scanner's status. I tried from the command line, as root, and got the same message. I then followed their instructions on getting it to work. First it says to 1. run sane-find-scanner to find the USB connection. Results: found USB scanner (vendor 0x04b at libusb:004:006. Your scanner was (probably) detected. It may or may not be supported by SANE. Then it said to try scanimage -L and read the backend's man page. Resutls: No scanners were identified. If you were expecting something different, check that the scanner is plugged in, turned on. and detected aby the sane-find-scanner tool (if appropriate). Please read the documentation which came with the software, README, FAQ, manpages." I read all of that. I think the problem boils down to the kernel being obsolete for this scanner software, because everything else on the printer works just fine. So, probably just need to uninstall the useless scanner software, right?
    But, I will add that the 2. step says to change the permissions with:
    chmod 0666 /proc/bus/usb/001/002 (in my case 004:006), but I didn't do that since the kernel apparently does not support this software. In the "core package", during installation, it gave this info: "Would you like to reset all directory permissions to
    755 (drwxr -xr -x) and directory ownerships to root, root ([y]es, [n]o? n So, apparently, it was set for all users. I don't think that needed to be changed.
    Last edited by sandlynx; 12-20-2010 at 05:18 PM.

Just Joined!
    Hello friends,,,,I'm new here,,,I like that site,,,Thanks for the extensive info. I will have to do much reading first in order to get it right the first time. I will get back to both of you in couple days about the results since I'm enrolled in classes in a distant city and haven't had time to get online much........
    With regards........
    Kajal,,,,,,

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2