Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
My old printer died, so I checked on what works in Linux, and found that Epson NX215 is claimed to work-Perfectly-- in Linux. I bought the NX215 and tried to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Installing Epson printer software manually

My old printer died, so I checked on what works in Linux, and found that Epson NX215 is claimed to work-Perfectly-- in Linux. I bought the NX215 and tried to install it through the Common Unix Printing System, which is the usual way of installing a printer, but the printer doesn't print at all. The PC and printer don't seem to be talking the same language. I called Epson and asked for help. Didn't get any solutions form them. So, I went looking for another solution. I found a driver for the NX215 on OpenPrinting | The Linux Foundation website.
    It does give directions for installing the software, but is not complete for installing in Slackware. I have the both the RPM and DEB file in my Downloads folder, and understand that I should use the RPM package to install in Slackware. (package is epson-inkjet-printer-escpr-1.0.1-1lsb3.2.i486.rpm.part) I understand that I need to convert RPM to .tgz package format. Then just install the package. Do I need to do anything extra to make Slackware LSB3.2 compliant in order for the software to work?
    After it's installed, will it appear in either "Printer Management Application" or Common Unix Printing System 1.3.11, or where?
    My question is: Where, in what folder, do I install this package? Surely I don't install it from the downloads folder. I suspect it should be someplace in /usr, but I'm not sure. So, where do I install it? I'm running Slackware 13.0
    Last edited by sandlynx; 12-06-2010 at 03:20 PM. Reason: Add info

Installation instructions

Driver downloads

CUPS and Slackware Wiki

Once you convert the rpm to tar.gz, you should just be able to install it as any other package in Slackware.

Afterwards go to http://localhost:631/, and walk through the selections on adding a new printer.

I thought it was just a matter of extracting the rpm locally. You could convert it to a slackpack:

Code:
    rpm2tgz yourfile.rpm
    What you're interested in in the rpm (now tgz) are the ppd files. Just move these ppd files to /usr/share/cups/model/ and make sure the permissions are the same as the other ppd files there.

Then restart cups
    Code:
    /etc/rc.d/rc.cups restart
    Can't tell an OS by it's GUI

Just Joined!
    Reed9,
    Thanks for the extensive info. I will have to do much reading first in order to get it right the first time. I will get back to both of you in couple days about the results since I'm enrolled in classes in a distant city and haven't had time to get online much. That will be over on Friday, then I can focus on getting this done properly and hopefully enjoying my new printer with lots of functions.

Just Joined!
    Freston,
    Thanks, will do and get back to you with results in couple days, when I will have time to not be distracted, focus, and do it right--plus learn alot in the process. What's really cool about this forum is that the info is top rate, and you're friendly to those who are not educated about this stuff, and we are able to learn. Thanks.

Just Joined!
    Freston and Reed,
    I followed your instructions and got the rpm file converted to a tgz file. I opened the file, looking for ppd files (I think you mean ppd.gz???), and I looked at least 6 times, line by line, and NX 215 is NOT on the list. So, what driver ppd file do I use? Who knows. It says on the website avasys.com, that NX215 is supported by this driver. But it's NOT on the list. It's a good thing I looked before I put the ppd files in /usr/share/cups/model/ , because I would not have found the NX215 drive when I go the the CUPS (Open Source and Linux Forums) to install the printer!!! It's not on the list. I'd ask what to do now, but I won't bother. I tried before to use the NX 210 driver and it doesn't work. I'm now on my way to buy an HP printer that does work with Linux. Thanks for your help, but in this case, it didn't do any good. I'll never buy another Epson printer. My nephew is going to get this piece of junk for Christmas because they run windows and the CD with the driver is included in the package. I can't use this piece of junk. I have spent half a day trying to get a printer installed, and I don't have this much time to spend on trying to make something work. I don't have this kind of trouble with HP. I have a life besides sitting in front of a computer trying to get things to work.
    Last edited by sandlynx; 12-12-2010 at 08:29 PM.

Just Joined!
    Guys,
    I went back to avasys, the people who wrote the software for Espon printers and left a message on the forum. I told them what I downloaded and that my printer is NOT listed; the PPD file is not there. I also said that on two websites, it claims this printer works "perfectly". If so, then what printer driver did they use? I'm waiting for a reply.
    Yes, I'm angy. Sorry about that. I've been spoiled by Slackware because things usually work solidly and perfectly, or close enough.

Just Joined!
    Reed 9 said "Once you convert the rpm to tar.gz, you should just be able to install it as any other package in Slackware."
    I'm a llttle confused here. I converted the rpm to tgz. But, you say to convert the rpm to tar.gz. Which am I supposed to do?
    Also, I did convert the rpm to tgz and tried to install it using pkgtool. I don't know if it's installed or not. I went to pkgtool, Current Install package from the current directrory> Package name: pipslite-1.5.0-2.i386> Yes Install package pipslite-1.5.0-2.i386. The console then returned to the directory containing the file I tried to install. My question is, did it install? It gives no indication that it was installed. How do I know? Yeah, I know, dumb question.
    Note: I went back to avasys and found the PPD file and other necessary files for NX215. I am retrying to install. No, I didn't give up. Any help would be appreciated.

Just Joined!

Success!

Guys,
    I finally figured it out, and the printer is now printing. All I have to do now is install the scanner portion of the software, and I should have a fully functional printer.

Great. What was the solution?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast