Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi. I'm running Slackware 12.2 and I haven't really changed anything except unsucessfully try to migrate to a larger multiboot, multipartition (with windows) hard drive. After I thought of a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Boot problem

Hi. I'm running Slackware 12.2 and I haven't really changed anything except unsucessfully try to migrate to a larger multiboot, multipartition (with windows) hard drive. After I thought of a different way to do it (so many windows utilities won't copy linux partitions) I have the first hard drive installed without any changes. It worked for a while after that, but I'm now getting a kernel panic. Here are the last few lines of the log during boot. Please tell me the etiquette if I'm not using the right tags in this forum:

VFS: Mounted root (ntfs filesystem) readonly.
    Freeing unused kernel memory 424K freed
    Warning: unable to open an initial console
    Kernel panic - not syncing: No init found. Try passing init= option to kernel.

What could I pass to kernel to make it work? I'll post command output. Tell me what and how to post. Thanks.

Linux Enthusiast
    Why are you attempting to have a "ntfs" filesystem on your "/". It does not support Unix/Linux style links (hard or soft). The "/" filesystem should be a Linux type filesystem (ext2, ext3, ext4, jfs, xfs, reiserfs, etc) and a windows filesystem (fat (any flavor) or NTFS). If in the migration, you changed the partition ordering, you will need to change the "root=" in the grub configuration and you will need to correct the devices within "/etc/fstab". To do this, you might need to use a liveCD/DVD/USB Linux system.

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the reply. I fired up a Knoppix Linux live cd, and while as the /etc/fstab was wrong as it was trying to mount / to the first (windows ntfs) partition, it still is giving the same error. Is there some other place this information is kept, or must I do some type of refresh command?

Just Joined!
    An update. It works if I type Linux boot=/dev/sda2 on the boot line. Do I have to run lilo? Why should I if I didn't change it at any time?

Just Joined!
    Got it working mainly thanks to the above repliers in this forum. Simply then edited lilo.conf, ran lilo -v and liloconfig, then I did:
    dd if=/dev/sda2 of=/media/sdb1/sda2.data bs=512 count=1
    Then I copied the file over to my windows primary partition on windows where windows bcd knows about it. The file name was linux.data or linux.bi. I don't understand how this file got changed, altho maybe all files must be in sync for it to work. Seemingly unlogical tho. Thanks to all posters!