Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have one PC with Slackware (lilo). The harddisk has 3 partitions (hda1, hda2 and hda3). I need remove HD from /dev/hda to /dev/hdc, because the primary IDE was damaged. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

hda to hdc

I have one PC with Slackware (lilo).
    The harddisk has 3 partitions (hda1, hda2 and hda3).
    I need remove HD from /dev/hda to /dev/hdc, because the primary IDE was damaged.

its the actual lilo.conf:

# generated by 'liloconfig'
    #
    # Start LILO global section
    boot = /dev/hda
    #compact # faster, but won't work on all systems.
    # Standard menu.
    message = /boot/boot_message.txt
    # Append any additional kernel parameters:
    append=" vt.default_utf8=0"
    #prompt
    #timeout = 5
    # Normal VGA console
    vga = normal
    # ramdisk = 0 # paranoia setting
    # End LILO global section
    # Linux bootable partition config begins
    image = /boot/vmlinuz
    root = /dev/hda3
    label = Linux
    read-only # Partitions should be mounted read-only for checking
    # Linux bootable partition config ends

Can someone please tell me what changes do I have to make on this HD so it can
    be booted on /dev/hdc. Right now when I boot from it I just get a panick kernal.

thank you!

Do you have a properly set up Linux root partition on hdc with all the necessary files? If you do, then the rest is easy.

Let's say for the sake of argument that your new Linux partition is /dev/hdc1. Then all you have to do is to change root=/dev/hda3 to root=/dev/hdc1, then run /sbin/lilo. Of course you'll have to do that off a live CD as you can't boot your hard drive until it's done.

The fact that the kernel loads and gives you a kernel panic shows that the LILO bootloader in /dev/hda is still working properly so I think you can leave it there.
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com

What Hazel already said is accurate. If you want to remove the other disk, the process isn't much harder. You simply boot from a LiveCD (you can use your Slackware disk if you'd like), chroot into hdc, change the hdb line to hdc, and then run sbin lilo. If you want to remove the disc, do so before running lilo. If the new disk is the second disc, move your IDE cable to it, and you new disk should be hdb now. In this case, edit any existing fstab entry on the disk that references hdc, and make those hdb. Voila.