Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi i am having trouble booting slackware 13.1 with lilo boot loader. here are a few facts about the situation: -i have windows 7 on the main internal hdd -whatever ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

slackware booting problem

hi i am having trouble booting slackware 13.1 with lilo boot loader.
    here are a few facts about the situation:
    -i have windows 7 on the main internal hdd
    -whatever linux i am experimenting with is on the second internal hard drive.
    -i recently had ubuntu 10.10 on the second and it would boot only if the first hdd was not hooked up. i FIXED this problem by adding "easyBCD" in windows and adding ubuntu as a second entry.
    -i now have slackware 13.1 on the second hard drive and it will boot just fine as long as the first hdd is not hooked up.

what ive tried with both hooked up::
    -i have tried the built in boot menu and selected the linux hard drive. this will load the lilo screen saying "slackware" and lets me select linux to boot. it shows a bunch of penguins and loads for about 3 seconds and freezes indefinately.
    -i have tried adding this entry to easyBCD picking out lilo and selecting disk 1(second disk) at partition 2(where lilo is). THIS DOES EXACTLY THE SAME THING AS THE BUILT IN MENU>>>IT GETS STUCK!
    -----------i have tried easybcd with LILO in the mbr AND in the "/"with the same results.

can someone please give me a little help on why the setup with bcd and two hard drives worked just fine with ubuntu/grub but gets stuck with slackware/lilo even though slackware with lilo boots just fine if hd0 is not connected.

note (same problems with ubunto BUT easyBCD fixed it)

thanks anyone who can help

Just Joined!
    i think lilo gets confused on where the root file system is when both hdd's are hooked up.
    easybcd starts up in hd0. from here you can pick linux which starts lilo from hd1. i think somewhere along the line lilo tries for files back in hd0 instead of staying in hd1.

should i change "boot = /dev/sda2" to something more specific ? and if so how?

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by spi11655
    i think lilo gets confused on where the root file system is when both hdd's are hooked up.
    easybcd starts up in hd0. from here you can pick linux which starts lilo from hd1. i think somewhere along the line lilo tries for files back in hd0 instead of staying in hd1.

should i change "boot = /dev/sda2" to something more specific ? and if so how?

thanks
    In two Hard disks system, best way is, use First Internal Hard disk for Linux installation. You can set it through Cable select, Jumper settings or in BIOS.
    Most of boot problems pop up because of installers wrong selection of Hard disk and messed up MBR.

I have never used easyBCD and can't help you there but if you select First hard disk for Linux installation, most of your problems will be gone.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close