Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello all! First post... I am a fairly new user to linux. I've used windows for YEARS for everything from server work to gaming to programming... I am a student ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Question BIOS/LILO - DUAL BOOT USB Issues [No Legacy?!]

Hello all! First post...

I am a fairly new user to linux. I've used windows for YEARS for everything from server work to gaming to programming... I am a student who is interested in alternative operating systems... I have tried ubuntu and a few other distros but i've always heard good things about slackware so naturally I tried it out...

By no means am I discouraged due to these issues because lets face it... its not the most user friendly operating system out there as far as out of the box is concerned... whatever your distribution may be. Thats probably the main reason why I am enjoying it haha.

Lets get to the problem...

I am currently Dual booting windows 7 with Slackware 13.1
    As of last night I partitioned my drive... installed slackware and everything was peachy. Lilo worked, Keyboard had no problem switching operating systems.

I wake up this morning, boot up my PC and notice my Razer Tarantula Keyboard was flashing its lights (dimly) but at an abnormal frequency (Like 3-4 flashes per second) during bios initialization/post then It boots into grub... as soon as grub/lilo loads bam, all my lights go off on the keyboard. My mouse... on the otherhand (USB Razer Lachesis) is fine...

I realize there are many posts about this particular issue. After doing a bit of sifting I noticed mostly everyone with this issue has not enabled Legacy USB support in there bios... Well, I grabbed my ps/2 to USB adapter, girlfriends USB keyboard (completely different make and model) and managed to access the bios. (To no surprise I tried it without the adapter and the blinking on her keyboard commenced...)

Now let me clarify that Razer Tarantulas have TWO usb connectors on them. Not just one. My girlfriends keyboard has only one USB port and it worked with my ps2 adapter... Unlike my razer.

So, I managed to get into the bios, Im thinking... Great. Lets just enable this sucker unplug her keyboard throw in my razer and continue... However, I did not see anything about Legacy USB support in there. I am using an EVGA Nforce 680i SLI Motherboard currently. Maybe I'm Blind, Daft, Or both.

So... as of right now without her keyboard and my ps2 adapter i cannot access my bios or even boot into Linux... I have to wait til the timer goes down to access my windows os which only then it initializes my keyboard drivers and allows my razer keyboard to function. However. Linux is a different story.

Any ideas guys/girls? I know I probably have not given enough hardware information. I will do so if asked to but I am currently on my laptop and not my actual box.

I would like to add that I am not certain if this is a LEGACY issue and I am blind or that it is something to do with the way slackware is reading my USB keyboard. Whatever the case, it was working last night
    Last edited by n0ps420; 04-13-2011 at 07:53 PM. Reason: Added extra info

Linux Guru
    As of last night I partitioned my drive... installed slackware and everything was peachy. Lilo worked, Keyboard had no problem switching operating systems.
    I take the above to mean your installation of Slackware was successful? That you were able to re-boot after the installation into Slackware, navigate the system and use it, reboot into windows 7 and use it, correct?

during bios initialization/post then It boots into grub... as soon as grub/lilo loads bam
    Where does Grub fit into this? To my knowledge, Slackware still uses Lilo bootloader. Did you install Grub separately?

In reading over your post, I'm not sure what the problem is. Is it just the keyboard and you are able to boot Slackware or are you not able to boot Slackware.

Quote Originally Posted by yancek View Post
    I take the above to mean your installation of Slackware was successful? That you were able to re-boot after the installation into Slackware, navigate the system and use it, reboot into windows 7 and use it, correct?
    Yes, Exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by yancek View Post
    Where does Grub fit into this? To my knowledge, Slackware still uses Lilo bootloader. Did you install Grub separately?

In reading over your post, I'm not sure what the problem is. Is it just the keyboard and you are able to boot Slackware or are you not able to boot Slackware.
    Wow i feel dumb, i meant to say LILO no grub. Just lilo. heh..
    When i first loaded it the usb keyboard worked, after i went to bed the next morning it was acting up on me. Now, I can boot into slackware with a ps2 keyboard but not a usb keyboard basically. I went into my bios to see if the legacy usb support was there to possibly see if that was the issue and I didnt see anything. Sorry for the confusion!

I also read that the tarantula keyboard is often read as a HUB usb device in linux rather than a keyboard. Which could very well be the problem here however, i am not quite sure how to verify this.

Solved.
    Legacy USB was actually enabled. I disabled it. Saved bios. booted back in, reenabled. Now it works like a charm. Very peculiar. Thanks though! you may close this topic if you like