Find the answer to your Linux question:
After 4 years my system (Slackware 13.0) is responding with a warning message when I attempt to exhibit a man page I get: WARNING: terminal is not fully functional When ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

WARNING: terminal is not fully functional

After 4 years my system (Slackware 13.0) is responding with a warning message when I attempt to exhibit a man page I get: WARNING: terminal is not fully functional
    When I run an app, I get: `xterm' : unknown term type
    I used it earlier today without these messages.
    I googled about and found it might have to do with lsmod differences between X and console.
    Here is what I got:
    diff lsmodX lsmodnoX
    29c29
    <ipv6 243508 12
    ---
    >ipv6 243508 10
    58c58
    <evdev 9152 7
    ---
    >evdev 9152 4
    Problem is I don't know the significance if any.

I did earlier go into the Terminal preferences and in "advanced" changed xterm to xterm -vb to see if I could get the pc bell to ring. I changed it back before shutdown so doubt that should have had an effect. Just to be clear I am running from the "Terminal" window which is an xterm.

Hopefully someone can explain this to me and how to fix same.

Linux User
    Have effected a remediation using: export TERM=xterm but this does not effect the next Terminal created. Is there a way to allow subsequent xterm Terminals to be set up as before i.e. so I don't have to export TERM each time.

Put it in your .bashrc file.

Linux User
    That I knew but I am trying to figure out what went wrong so it doesn't happen again. That was not in my .bashrc. Exporting is a fix but why is it necessary now and not before?

Linux User

WARNING: terminal is not fully functional

export TERM=xterm would get rid of the warning by putting it in /etc/profile, .profile, or .bashrc.
    I am using the xterm "Terminal" and had no problems until recently so I searched to resolve what I did to my system that started this warning.
    To find how my terminal is defined I looked in the toolbar: Edit>Preferences>Advanced and found it was defined there to be: xterm
    I ran infocmp to see what the system thought it was and got:
    infocmp: couldn't open terminfo file /usr/share/terminfo/x/xterm .
    I ran tset -q and got:
    tset: unknown terminal type xterm
    toe produces:
    xterm X11 terminal emulator
    So the system doesn't know what an xterm is but /usr/share/terminfo/x/xterm knows "xterm".
    Why should this be so?? The directory "/usr/share/terminfo/x/xterm" exists and is defined from file command as:
    xterm: Compiled terminfo entry inspection by less tends to confirms that.
    I could use tic (I guess) to "rebuild" that whole directory but why if file seems to like it. AND what do I do if it crashes mid stream before I get my backup. Also ther terminfo file know the definition.
    I think this may be connected with why K3b is not listing files from /root.
    Finally when $TERMINFO and $TERM are echoed tjhe output is blank an xterm respectively by both users and root.
    Now if TERMINFO is not defined maybe that is why the system doesn't know what xterm is since TERMINFO does not point to:
    /usr/share/terminfo
    Is that correct?? If so where is TERMINFO defined at boot time??
    Last edited by clickit; 06-25-2011 at 05:50 AM.