Find the answer to your Linux question:
Is there a way to run the lilo command from the boot dvd? It doesn't get the directories right, as it has / mounted as the ramdisk memory file system, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Run lilo from boot dvd

Is there a way to run the lilo command from the boot dvd? It doesn't get the directories right, as it has / mounted as the ramdisk memory file system, and / can't be demounted since it's busy. Mounting / to my sdb1 partition (where linux is installed) does not get the proper "maps" for the lilo command, since the dvd ramdisk / takes priority. I have Slackware 12.2 installed but am actually trying to do this with Ubuntu, but I know you Slackers know about lilo. Windows recovery disks allow this type of thing. Slackware works flawlessly unlike Ubuntu. Slackware has never crashed on me once, and I know some websites are on linux servers that haven't been rebooted in 3 years.

My approach would be to use either Supergrub or chroot into the install, but to be honest I use grub.

Just Joined!
    Thank you. Chroot is what I wanted.

First:
    mkdir /mnt/slackware
    Second:
    mount -t ext3 /dev/sdb1 /mnt/slackware
    mount -t proc none /mnt/slackware/proc
    mount --rbind /dev /mnt/slackware/dev
    Third:
    chroot /mnt/slackware /bin/bash
    Fourth:
    source /etc/profile
    Fifth:
    vim /etc/lilo.conf
    Sixth:
    lilo

Then just reboot.

Just Joined!
    Well, that didn't work as the chroot doesn't find the bash command. The mount with the proc doesn't work either. I DID get it to work however, and I partially have this tread to thank for it. What I did was boot the Knoppix live cd (I think) and:

mount /dev/sda2 /media/sda2
    chroot /media/sda2 lilo -v

I then did my:

dd if=/dev/sda2 of=/media/sdc1/linux.bi count=1 bs=512

to get it into the windows vista bcdedit system and viola, I was able to get my system going again. I had to do this after upgrading. Thanks for all the help.