Find the answer to your Linux question:
What is the best way to install slackware?? I don't have the ability to buy anything off the internet, so I'm pretty much limited to downloading. I looked at the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Slackware Install Questions

What is the best way to install slackware?? I don't have the ability to buy anything off the internet, so I'm pretty much limited to downloading. I looked at the ftp site, but there are so many files, i got really confused, really fast. I think i want to run the gnome environment. I already have redhat 9.0 on my system, so i was wondering if i could just tell it to install overwriting those partitions.(they'll be big enough i think) I also have win xp dual booted, and i don't want to mess that up. But the main problem is that I don't know which files to download. I'm running a Pentium 3 mobile, at ~1.13ghz in case that makes any difference in what files I download.

Thanks
    Registered Linux User Number 373366

I would just download the two iso of slackware 10.0. As long as you don't format your drive, it should keep your current setup.

i would use the torrent downloads http://www.slackware.com/getslack/torrents.php (you need both disks)

Linux Newbie
    Torrents are extremely slow due to the fact that it's been quite a while since the release and there are very few seeds. Best bet would be to go to one of the ftp mirrors and d/l the 2 install iso's.
    Just download, verify, burn and install.
    OH NOOOOO!!!!!! You did it the way I said?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    ok this is the page that I'm on. Which files do I downloa d?? There seems to be alot. 4 disk's?? Which do I download?? [/url]
    Registered Linux User Number 373366

Linux Newbie
    Here's the thing. There are no ISO's at the link you posted. There are only the md5sums and the signatures(*.iso.asc).
    In fact, I was only able to locate a single mirror that is carrying the ISO's.
    ftp://ftp.cs.stevens-tech.edu/pub/Li...ware-10.0-iso/
    Go there and download the ISO's. You only need cd1. If you want KDE, GNOME, anything from /extra or /testing, you'll also need cd2. CD's 3 and 4 contain source code, the Slackware book, /pasture and other things that aren't necessary for installation.
    OH NOOOOO!!!!!! You did it the way I said?