Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi After a year and 1/2 of using Ubuntu, Puppy Linux and openSUSE I'm trying to install Slackware in an effort to throw my self in the deep end of ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Slackware 13.37 Source Media Problem, Using an SD card

Hi

After a year and 1/2 of using Ubuntu, Puppy Linux and openSUSE I'm trying to install Slackware in an effort to throw my self in the deep end of Linux and learn some real skills (cmi).

The installation alone has forced me to learn more than I had from all my previous Linux experience and I think I would have it running if it weren't for the fact that I was running the installer from an SDHC that I made using Linux Live USB creator (I am now possibly uncovering the reason why it is only called a USB creator and not a portable media creator)

The main problem is that I can't figure out what the SD is called so I can't mount it to a directory for when the installer asks for the source media, I have a feeling that this stems from the fact that I am booting from the SD card.

fdisk -l only shows my partitions from sda. (is there a way to expand its search parameters?)

I can see the physical card reader with lspci -vmm
    the output given is

Slot: 85:09.1
    Class :SD Host controller
    Vendor: Ricoh Co Ltd
    Decice: R5C822 SD/SDIO/MMC/MSPro Host Adapter
    SVendor: Hewlett-Packard Company
    Sdevice: Device 30eb
    Rev: 22

I have searched (what I believe to be) far and wide and haven't been able to find what an SD card would be called by default or a way to view all devices connected to the system.

If anyone is still with me after that sea of text and can shed any light on this I would be very appreciative, or alternately if they could put me out of my misery by telling me what I'm trying to do is impossible that, also would be (begrudgingly) appreciated.

(also the reason I haven't given up and used a DVD or USB is because I'm away from home, my laptop (an elitebook2730p) has no CD drive and I lost my only USB on the plane)

Just Joined!
    OK, seems like no one has any ideas for fixing this obscure problem.
    If you have stumbled on this thread looking for a solution for this problem then fear not. Literally as I hit post on the op an idea popped into my head.

I got it working (explained later) and now have mounted the SD card and it has come up as /dev/mmcblk0. Try that and if it doesn't work; read on

I simply made a partition in my main HDD (the one that was mounting automatically), formatted in FAT32 (thus usable by Linux and Windows, which I already had on the laptop) and extracted the Slackware DVD into that partition (using the free version of ultimate ISO, I think), then I ran setup as usual and selected the drive partition (/dev/hda4 in my case) as the source. As I extracted it directly into the partition and not into a sub folder I didn't have to get any more specific than the partition name.

I hope this helps anyone else in this strange and probably uncommon situation.