Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I have a fresh 13.37 x64 system and trying to compile some avr code. When I try to compile I get the following error ; /usr/lib/gcc/avr/4.4.4/avr5/libc.a: could not read ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Slackware 13.37 x64 libc.a could not read symbols

Hello,

I have a fresh 13.37 x64 system and trying to compile some avr code. When I try to compile I get the following error ;

/usr/lib/gcc/avr/4.4.4/avr5/libc.a: could not read symbols: File format not recognized

Actually there were bunch of errors like ;

/usr/lib/gcc/avr/4.4.4/../../../../avr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/gcc/avr/4.4.4/../../../../avr/lib/avr5/libm.a when searching for -lm
    /usr/lib/gcc/avr/4.4.4/../../../../avr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/gcc/avr/4.4.4/../../../../avr/lib/libm.a when searching for -lm
    /usr/lib/gcc/avr/4.4.4/../../../../avr/bin/ld: cannot find -lm
    /usr/lib/gcc/avr/4.4.4/../../../../avr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/gcc/avr/4.4.4/avr5/libgcc.a when searching for -lgcc
    /usr/lib/gcc/avr/4.4.4/../../../../avr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/gcc/avr/4.4.4/libgcc.a when searching for -lgcc
    /usr/lib/gcc/avr/4.4.4/../../../../avr/bin/ld: cannot find -lgcc
    /usr/lib/gcc/avr/4.4.4/../../../../avr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/gcc/avr/4.4.4/../../../../avr/lib/avr5/libc.a when searching for -lc
    /usr/lib/gcc/avr/4.4.4/../../../../avr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/gcc/avr/4.4.4/../../../../avr/lib/libc.a when searching for -lc
    /usr/lib/gcc/avr/4.4.4/../../../../avr/bin/ld: cannot find -lc
    /usr/lib/gcc/avr/4.4.4/../../../../avr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/gcc/avr/4.4.4/avr5/libgcc.a when searching for -lgcc
    /usr/lib/gcc/avr/4.4.4/../../../../avr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/gcc/avr/4.4.4/libgcc.a when searching for -lgcc
    /usr/lib/gcc/avr/4.4.4/../../../../avr/bin/ld: cannot find -lgcc

and I copied the 64bit versions of the libraries to destination folders and got rid of all the errors except that I am stuck at libc.a couldn't read symbols.

Any help is appreciated.
    Last edited by t35t; 07-11-2011 at 11:13 PM.

It's been a long time...

It has been a really long time but I did build the AVR binutils on Slackware 12.1. My guess would be that somehow you are including on the wrong library versions or are calling gcc instead of avr-gcc. You did build the cross compiler for AVR, right?
    Sorry this may not be too helpful. If you give me a bit more step-by-step I'll try to help more.