Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree2Likes
objdump is your friend. Another tool is /var/log/packages, which lists all of the files installed by a particular package, and /var/log/scripts which documents any post-install scripts that the pkgtool runs ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

objdump is your friend.
    Another tool is /var/log/packages, which lists all of the files installed by a particular package, and /var/log/scripts which documents any post-install scripts that the pkgtool runs (upgradepkg, installpkg).
    See also slackbuilds.org. The Slackware team maintains SlackBuild scripts for a lot of software that isn't included in the base distribution. Cool part is that all of those packages end in SBo in /var/log/packages, so they're easy to find and maintain.
    On the other hand, I'm a seasoned systems administrator, so use another distribution until you get familiar with the innards or just want to run pre-built applications.

=-==-=- snip =-=-=-=-
    #!/bin/bash
    # finddepend

FILE_LIST=$1
    # Environment variable signifying if this is a slackware package log file.
    PKGLOG=${PKGLOG:-1}

# Define the root if you intend to search the currently running system. Else
    # it will check your home directory.
    ROOT=${ROOT:-$PWD}

LOG=${LOG:-/dev/null}

if [ -f $FILE_LIST ]; then
    DEL_LINES=""
    if [ $PKGLOG -eq 1 ]; then
    DEL_LINES="1,$(grep -x -n FILE\ LIST\: $FILE_LIST | gawk -F: '{print $1}')d"
    fi

# Sneeky substitution that may or may not occur based on PKGLOG.
    # -e "" will match all lines in the file.
    # -e "1,##d" will be decided if PKGLOG is 1.
    for FILE in $(sed -e "$DEL_LINES" $FILE_LIST); do
    # Output the name of the current file if we find our specified library
    # mentioned in the object dump of the current file.
    if [ -f $ROOT/$FILE ]; then
    objdump -x $ROOT/$FILE 2> /dev/null | grep NEEDED
    fi
    done
    else
    echo "Error: no filename given." 1>&2
    fi

Just Joined!
    Having an empty 50gig partition on my hard drive and a separate /home partition i have tried several distros in the past couple of weeks. I have been using linux since about 96 and used it for web dev and system admin when i worked in the IT industry. I dont know why it took me until last weekend to try slackware, but i have yet to run into a dependancy issue in the main slackware repostitory. After a clean install i did :
    1. slackpkg update gpg
    2. slackpkg update
    3. slackpkg install-new
    4. slackpkg upgrade-all
    and everything just worked. Until i actually installed it i thought that the slogans you read like "Once you slack you never go back." were tinged with conceit or fanboyism, but after my experience of the past week, unless something radically changes in slackware, im a fan for life
    Most distros come with specific tweaks that, if you run into problems make things more difficult to resolve. I dont see any of that kind of nonsense in slackware.
    EDIT: I should also mention that i did upgrade to "current" and have yet to encounter a dependancy issue. I dont know if i have ever before that done a wholesale upgrade on any linux box without something breaking.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2