Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi. I installed slackware on my laptop. I partitioned the disk with fdisk and set swap as (82) before the setup, ran the setup, selected the root partiton and the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Missing lilo.conf and kernel panic

Hi. I installed slackware on my laptop. I partitioned the disk with fdisk and set swap as (82) before the setup, ran the setup, selected the root partiton and the mount point /home. I've chosen to install lilo on root (somehow i feel safer like this) but after restart, it said "missing OS". Ok, i booted from dvd, mounted /dev/sda2 (root) part to /mnt and runned liloconf. There, i installed lilo on mbr. The bootloader works but at bootup gives me kernel panic and it says that it can't find the root partition (0,0). Moreover, i can't find lilo.conf in /etc. What's the problem?

Greetings,

Well, it's been quite a while since I have used LILO as a boot-loader, but one thing I notice immediately is the fact that you state your root ('/') is /dev/sda2, but the bootloader is looking for the root partition at hd(0,0) which would be the first drive, first partition. So, the questions become:
    1. What do you have on the first partition of the drive? Does it have the kernel you are loading?
    2. If your first partition *is* your /boot partition, does it have a copy of the lilo.conf in there?
    3. If there is a lilo.conf in the boot partition, where is it pointing for the root partition? [From what you were saying above, it should be pointing at hd(0,1).]

HTH. Let us know.

boot=/dev/sda
    compact
    prompt
    timeout=50
    image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.x.x label=linux root=/dev/sda2 read-only

Just Joined!
    Try booting the cd, mounting sda2 to /mnt , set up your lilo.conf file (look at the boot cd's lilo.conf) and run:
    chroot /mnt lilo -v
    Lots of luck.