Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have been using Nautilus for network browsing. It works well when it works. but it is kind of unstable. I wan't to use Lisad but the man pages or ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Lisad instead of nautilus

I have been using Nautilus for network browsing. It works well when it works. but it is kind of unstable. I wan't to use Lisad but the man pages or kind of weak. Can anybody give me a brief explanation of LISAD and how to start it?
    Thanks,
    Mike
    Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really embodies the grace of Linux, which just tells me they have never seen a angry penguin charging at them in excess of 100mph. They'd be a lot more careful about what they say if they had.
    -- Linus Torvalds

Just Joined!
    seems to be a TCP/IP Network Neibourhood type service,

take a peek at the home page seems easy enough,
    http://lisa-home.sourceforge.net/

Just Joined!
    ok edit the /etc/lisarc file
    then run /usr/bin/lisa

e.g mine is the default except for the network address/ mask
    PingAddresses = 192.168.2.0/255.255.255.0;
    PingNames =
    AllowedAddresses = 192.168.2.0/255.255.255.0;
    BroadcastNetwork = 192.168.2.0/255.255.255.0;
    SearchUsingNmblookup = 1
    FirstWait = 30
    SecondWait = -1
    UpdatePeriod = 150
    DeliverUnnamedHosts = 1
    MaxPingsAtOnce = 256

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Do you use the lisad and is it stable?
    Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really embodies the grace of Linux, which just tells me they have never seen a angry penguin charging at them in excess of 100mph. They'd be a lot more careful about what they say if they had.
    -- Linus Torvalds

Just Joined!
    No I dont use it, played with it a little, but seems when it's loaded I have network problems after about 2 hours, not really had a chance to work out if it's LISa causing the problem or if it's just a coicendence coz me slackware box is my dev machine and not std install.

Edit: network probs are a loss of connection, a straight reboot sorts the issue.

Just Joined!
    ok no luck for me, but it does appear it's not Slack or Fed2 thats casuing the problem but my router/gateway and LISa.

I have a Belin F5D5230-4 connecting 2 PC's to a cable setup Box,

while either machine is switched off and LISa started all is ok,
    however when the other is booted, or if both booted; LISa started I get an ititail connection and can see all services on the network, after a short length of time( about 10 mins) the network stops responding, a restart of the router and shutting the LISa service sorts the problem.

at the mo i'm learing about MySQL so dont really have time to spare on the Root Cause.

So it seems that it is as inefficient as nautilus then. Is there something else other than those two? What does Red Hat use any idea?
    -- Linus Torvalds

Just Joined!
    RH/Fedora uses LISa also.

noticed in syslog while looking for something else it's when it's making a DHCP request my network connection goes down, makes the request - gets the address, then when trying to negociate eth1 goes down.

ii'll try using another nic. as both machines run Netgear nic's while I have a 3com avail !! and resLISa asI understand resLISa to be passive not active. I may be wrong

Have you tried using LISa ? it may just be my seup/hardware.

I have tried to configure it in the gui but coudn't figure out how to start the deamon. I saw on a post somewhere how to start it in the command line but I have forgotten now, but back when I did run it I found it to be unstable in that it worked fine then for no reason that I could figure out it would loose all the shares and if I restarted the service it woud come back up for a while then die again.

I think nautilus is a little more secure but it doesn't support drop and drag. It does to download but not to upload.
    -- Linus Torvalds