Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I recently installed SMS on my computer. At first i had trouble getting it to boot as it had installed lilo and i am using Grub 0.97. The system ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Superb Mini Server White Screen??

Hi,
    I recently installed SMS on my computer. At first i had trouble getting it to boot as it had installed lilo and i am using Grub 0.97.
    The system boots, but after it loads the kernel it just goes to a white screen, followed by a system restart (as in the whole computer reboots).

this is my grub:
    title Superb Mini Server
    root (hd1,2)
    kerel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.39.3-sms ro root=/dev/sdc3

I tried a few other boot options like:
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz ro root=UUID=
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz ro root=/dev/sdc3 but both resulted in a kernel panic.

i also tried this:
    title Superb Mini Server
    root (hd1,2)
    chainloader (hd1,0)+1
    As lilo was referring boot=/dev/sdc, which is a windows 7 partition but that only resulted in Windows 7 booting.

I am lost as to why it keeps restarting.

bump!

Is someone please able to help! I am at a total loss as to why my SMS (which is a slackware linux) just reboots after loading the kernel. Its on an ext4 filesystem.

It's not slackware, but slackware based, it uses a custom kernel and there are numerous reasons as to why it may be panicing. You haven't posted any system information, nor can you be sure that their custom kernel supports all of your hardware.

They have their own support forums, I would advise that you ask there: SMS :: Index

Quote Originally Posted by caravel View Post
    It's not slackware, but slackware based, it uses a custom kernel and there are numerous reasons as to why it may be panicing. You haven't posted any system information, nor can you be sure that their custom kernel supports all of your hardware.

They have their own support forums, I would advise that you ask there: SMS :: Index
    It only panics when i use either of these kernel lines:
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz ro root=UUID=
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz ro root=/dev/sdc3
    Other than that it restarts automatically after booting the kernel.

System info:
    CPU: Opteron 6168 x2
    Mobo: Asus KPGE-D16
    GPU: Radeon HD6850
    RAM: Mushkin Enhanced 1333

I am using their huge layer 7 Kernel. Other than that info i cannot pinpoint the problem. It appears to load fine, it only when the white screen comes up that it reboots. If i was to take a potshot, i would guess the graphics.

The graphics card is very new so it could be a video driver issue, as it's their own custom kernel you would be better off asking at their own forum.