Find the answer to your Linux question:
Thus far in my linux career, PCMCIA and myself have not played well together. I never have managed to get my Motorola WN825G to work, or even be detected under ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

PCMCIA and Slackware

Thus far in my linux career, PCMCIA and myself have not played well together. I never have managed to get my Motorola WN825G to work, or even be detected under redhat 9.0. How would I go about configureing this card under slackware, which I am planning to install this weekend. Wireless is the only way to get onto the internet on my laptop, as the router is quite far away and my 50ft of ethernet cable just isn't practical, nor will it reach that well.
    Registered Linux User Number 373366

I have a orinoco silver card and I didn't have to configure anything it worked out of the box. I have configured others to work in slackware though (never a motorola) you can configure your wireless stuff in /etc/rc.d/rc.wireless.conf
    You need to find the drivers that work with your card and edit it in that folder.

I have in the past found that when i edit that file it doesn't take effect till you reboot. That is something to try when in doubt. Also some times you can run
    ./rc.wireless
    then
    ./rc.inet1
    This works sometimes if you have dhcp to get your IP.
    there is too many variables to tell you exactly how to fix your specific issue. I say keep trying things and try to be a little more precise when asking questions.

Keep trying you'll figure it out.

Mike
    Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really embodies the grace of Linux, which just tells me they have never seen a angry penguin charging at them in excess of 100mph. They'd be a lot more careful about what they say if they had.
    -- Linus Torvalds

Linux Newbie
    ok I have slackware installed, and there are only a few things that annoy me. First whenever i try to edit a file using vim my backspace key dosen't work, I have to go to the beginning of the word, and use the delete key. also, I am logged in as root, and cant seem to find the ./fluxbox directory where the themes and menu folders are located. I also have no Idea what to do about my wireless. My card isn't listed in /etc/rc.d/rc.wireless. What should I do? How do I run /.rc.wireless? If anybody can answer any of these questions, that would be great!

Linux Newbie
    i've got the same vim problem - is it a Slackware thing?

Linux Newbie
    i half fixed the ./fluxbox thing. It in /home/root (duh). But there is no theme folder in it, just menu and some other stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by LoserWithCause
    My card isn't listed in /etc/rc.d/rc.wireless. What should I do? How do I run /.rc.wireless? If anybody can answer any of these questions, that would be great!
    ./rc.wireless # that is the command if you are in /etc/rc.d
    also try
    ./rc.pcmcia if it is a laptop with a wireless card

First save your original file
    cp rc.wireless.conf rc.wireless.conf.orig
    then
    pico rc.wireless.conf
    #find the card that uses the same drivers and edit it like it was your card.
    if you have wep enabled you are on you own. Been having problems with that myself, but without wep uncomment things you need and do a reboot. I have found that I sometimes need to run. /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1 again after the reboot.
    GL
    Mike
    Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really embodies the grace of Linux, which just tells me they have never seen a angry penguin charging at them in excess of 100mph. They'd be a lot more careful about what they say if they had.
    -- Linus Torvalds

Linux Newbie
    well, i installed it on my newer laptop with integrated wireless (not sure what type intel i think(?) slackware just detected it by itself and it works great!!!

"slackware rocks"

Mike
    -- Linus Torvalds